Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Wireless charging pads
  • molgrips
    Free Member

QI compatible ones, that is. Anyone got one? There are cheap ones avaible for half the price of the Nokia ones, anyone know if they are ok?

sandwicheater

I didn’t even know this was a thing.

How efficient are they?

molgrips
    Free Member

No idea. Useful for smartphones that can run out during the day with a bit of heavy use. Just install it in a spot where you frequently leave your phone and it’ll stay topped up.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Good for a desk. Not so good for home as you can’t hold it to use it while its charging.

sadmadalan

Pulls up a chair to see if anyone has some answers. I’ve looked at the ones on ebay – but something always puts me off. Don’t know why since it is a work phone and if it goes phut I can always get another one!

footflaps

Cheaper to have a little dock on your desk…..

sandwicheater

Is it magic. Will a fairy die each time I use it?

AlexSimon

something always puts me off

Perhaps it’s the complete and utter pointlessness of it?

beaker2135

I use a Nokia one
    I have it at the side of the bed for charging overnight. Saves fiddling with wires and connectors in the dark

brassneck

I can’t see how a compatible could be any worse .. maybe it trickles slightly less? But I think you’re resigned to it taking a while to charge fully wirelessly anyway, so I doubt it’s noticeable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When these were first mooted as an idea, I thought it sounded awesome and I wanted one.

Then I realised that I could have a charger plugged in to the kitchen, study and bedroom at home, and one plugged in to my laptop at work and therefore there was simply no need.

Oh, and hassle plugging something in? It’s pretty simple. Just insert Tab A in to Slot B. And if you can’t do that in the dark in the bedroom, well……

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got one – a Nokia one – after the rubber flap on my Otterbox case broke off from constant opening and closing. Case replaced for free and the charger works fine through it. Probably wouldn’t bother in other circumstances though.

molgrips
    Free Member

It just means you can toss it on the shelf as normal, but now it’s charging. A bit of extra convenience, that’s all.

cp

i really like the idea of it – if you’re up and down all day at work and need to take the phone with you when you’re up, then its very convenient to be able to just pop the phone down on something rather than plug-in every time.

I’ve never actually used a branded one or a non branded one though so can’t comment on the OP. Nor do I have a phone whereby I could use it.

I assume it’s just a similar principal to leccy toothbrushes?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it’s inductive, so there are no connectors just a flat pad.

Of course the really cool idea is to integrate it into furniture. I think I can do it to our cheap Ikea Billy shelves in the living room.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I was given one and it’s quite nice to have on my desk – can pick the phone up, drop it down and it charges.

Phone doesn’t charge as fast so they can’t be as efficient.

I think it would be great if everyone adopted the Qi standard and wireless pads were built in to everyday items – tables, plane seats, car centre consoles etc so that you just chuck your phone down and charge it.

cp

No, it’s inductive, so there are no connectors just a flat pad.

my leccy toothbrush is inductive…

cp

Phone doesn’t charge as fast so they can’t be as efficient.

Efficiency and outright power are very different things!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve suggested I might like a Zens QI charger for christmas, based on nothing more than it got an ok review and looks like it won’t get in the way. As Flash said though I think the first problem will be working out where to put it as I currently make use of at least 4 different chargers based on where I am when I notice it’s running low. If I get it right I’m hoping I just won’t notice and it will always have enough charge.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it would be great if everyone adopted the Qi standard and wireless pads were built in to everyday items – tables, plane seats, car centre consoles etc so that you just chuck your phone down and charge it.

Yeah, I may start a business converting items of furniture or selling them with the pads built in.

Or I may not.

Stoner
    Free Member

Magnetic induction? Old skool baby.

Magnetic resonance is where it’s at now daddio.

As Ctech notes, charging from that distance wouldn’t use close-in magnetic induction tech, as used in your Sonicare toothbrush or in devices based on the Qi wireless charging standard promulgated by the Wireless Power Consortium, but instead a magnetic resonance system – like the one the Korea Electronics Technology Institute announced on Thursday, and G 4 Games reported in October that Samsung plans to introduce into its phones in mid-2014.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/14/apple_iwatch_october_2014_wirelessly_charge/

brakes
    Free Member

I got given a QI one.
    The jack is too short, the cable is too short, the phone slips off it and it doesn’t work.
    My phone isn’t compatible though so my view might be a little tainted.

daveh
    Free Member

I got a cheapy £15 jobby off of eBay. It works well enough, charges at about 75% of the rate it would if plugged in. I have it on the desk at work and as stated above it’s convenient to drop on and take off when I’m in and out of the office. I power it from usb to avoid the whole personal item pat test thing. I wouldn’t buy the same one for home though, certainly not for in the bedroom, like an induction cooker it makes a pulsing high pitched sound, it’d be very annoying trying to sleep through it!

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Samsung ones for my S4 – I find them most useful – my phone sits on my desk during the day, and on my hall cabinet at home overnight – it is very easy to just put it down on the pad each time and know that the battery will be fully charged when I pick the phone up.

jam-bo

Solution looking for a problem.

papamountain
    Free Member

I’ve got a Zens one for my nexus 4, works ok, nice to just throw the phone on it but not at all needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Solution looking for a problem.

Really? Looks like a great idea, if my S3 had come as standard with it I would have one. When I’m busy I’m on and off the phone a lot and wandering round the house. Just putting it down on a mat would be great.
    If I could wander into a cafe and put my phone on the table and it charges while I sit there with no wires it would be great.
    A universal standard one would be a great thing and would prompt people to install then in public places. It’s a very neat & tidy solution that removes the issues of data stealing/virus/malware that could be done when plugging a phone into charge via USB.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t see the point. Cable works fine. Both restricted to fixed location, cable faster. Cable has docking station option in which phone can act as clock,calendar, stereo, email reader etc…

can’t imagine too many folk installing them publically without charging you extortionately for it, as with internet cafes.

TooTall
    Free Member

Once they are built in then great. As a bolt on? No thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can’t imagine too many folk installing them publically without charging you extortionately for it, as with internet cafes.

As I seem to be able to pick up free wireless in 60-7% of the places I eat/drink then I would imagine plenty would offer them if there is a common standard – most people would pay an extra £1 on their meal but not pay £1 to lock their phone away. Most of the airport lounges I go through already have cable stations for charging, next step is to have a charging point on the table.
    http://allthingsd.com/20130729/starbucks-latest-move-ups-the-stakes-in-battle-over-wireless-charging/

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do a bit of googling. They don’t charge as well and the batteries don’t last as well.

Pointless too IMO

Flaperon

I like them. Got given two free when I bought a Lumia and they work well, though don’t charge as fast as the normal plug-in charger.

Downsides? You have to be fairly precise with the positioning of the phone – about the same time as plugging it in TBH but easier when pissed – and once the phone has stopped charging the AC adapter makes a pronounced and deeply irritating buzzing noise.

MSP

I have quite a few things that need charging up; phone, garmin edge and forerunner. ipod shuffle, exposure bike lights. Would be great to just have an induction mat to plonk them down onto instead of 6 different chargers.

molgrips
    Free Member

The point is you don’t plug your phone in every time you put it down, do you? I don’t. But I do often put it in the same spot when I sit down in my living room for example.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I find it odd Sony haven’t adopted this yet, with their push for waterproof phones this would be an obvious thing to include so you don’t need a little rubber flap to leave open and knacker the waterproofing.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Wireless charging pads’ is closed to new replies.