Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless cameras for home security. Anyone got one?
  • headpotdog
    Free Member

I’m wondering if anyone has got experience of using wireless cameras for home security?

I’d like to know if there are any good ones on the market that could be used for keeping an eye on property through the wonders of the internet & mobile technology.

Wireless seems to offer minimal hassle with installation, but I don’t know if there are any good cameras on the market for both internal & exterior use? Is the software needed to use them any good? Any recommendations?

I’d be interested in your comments as always.

sturdylad
    Free Member

A friend of mine uses one of these to keep an eye on his home whilst at work.
    I think it emails you when the sensor picks up movement

http://www.y-cam.com/y-cam-bullet-black/

I’d have one to watch over my bikes but Mrs Sturdylad has other plans for my money!!

headpotdog
    Free Member

That looks perfect thanks! Excellent spec as many of the ones I’ve seen are either indoor use only, can’t record sound & video or have other limitations. It is a bit pricey mind you, but you do seem to be getting plenty of features for your money.

Mrs headpotdog might have second thoughts about shelling out that much on a camera too, especially when it could end up being trained on my bike. Still she doesn’t need to know that just yet, does she 😀

Jolsa

I keep thinking about this, assume some sort of webcam cctv software would do the same thing? i.e. detect movement and record/email video clips?

Does anyone use an old laptop this way?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Headpotdog,

I setup 4 IP Cams for my dad about a year ago. Foscomm do a great cheap wireless solution. I think the cameras where about £70-80 each. 2 internal 2 external. The internal ones had pan and tilt and the external ones seem to hold the water out well under the eaves. I set the cameras to record an image every 4 secs (be aware this munches up server space if saving via off site cloud based storage – no point saving images if its on the pc your burglar is about to swipe!) Real time video is then streamed via internet explorer or firefox.

If you want really good stuff, Axis IP cameras are great. Whatever you do setup a dynamic DNS address and link this to your Cams using port forwarding on a router so you can tap straight into your Cams via a web browser whilst away from your home…. oh and hide the router.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=foscam

leffeboy

and don’t forget the trendnet ones o keep the rest of us entertained
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16919664

headpotdog
    Free Member

Blimey!!! Those Trendnet cameras could have been really embarassing eh! American Pie springs to mind 😀

I really like the idea of web access without special software or hardware. Iphone access would be the icing on the cake, but image security has to be top priority. Don’t want other people to watch me getting up to oily business with my bike after all, do I… 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless cameras for home security. Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.