Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless adaptors
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Looking to get a PCI card wireless adaptor for my PC. BUT! I have a question.
    My router is only 54Mbps wireless, will using it with say an ‘n’ card offer any advantages? I know I wont be able to get faster than the router can send, but wil it give me an increased range / stronger signal than say a basic 54Mbps card?

I ask because i’ve got hold of a 54Mbps PCI card and it cant even detect my router, yet the ‘n’ USB adapter i’ve borrowed is fine.

Cougar

No, is the short answer. For 802.11n to give you any advantage, it has to be ‘n’ at both ends.

IA

Where’s the antenna on the PCI card, stuck round the back of the pc? Was the USB one away from the PC and perhaps just getting better signal?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks cougar, thats what I thought.
    IA, yes the PCI card’s antenna is at the back of the PC, whereas the USB one is mounted away from all the gubbins on the top of the computer desk.

Soooo, what do I go for? Im guessing a PCI ‘n’ rated card (to allow for future upgrades to router) with a remotely mounted antenna or multiple antennae?? Or just stick with a USB ‘n’ rated adapter?

bigyinn
    Free Member

How would THIS do?

IA

Probably be OK. Getting the antenna away from the (noisy electrically) PC has to be a good thing. The USB adapter option has the advantage of getting all of the antenna and receiving electronics away from the PC (though the disadvantage of a smaller antenna, in general).

If you know a USB one works well, I’d be inclined to stick with a usb one…

(actually, personally I cable up my desktops and just use wifi for portable devices)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given the choice I wouldnt use wireless, but the router is a couple of rooms away from the PC, so wireless is my best option.
    Hmmm, still would prefer a PCI, but the aerial is stuck out the back, at least with the PCI card I listed I can get it somewhere less cluttered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless adaptors’ is closed to new replies.