Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Winter Tyres x2 or x4?
  • BurnBob
    Free Member

I would definately recommend them. On that note, I have made a mistake and ordered the wrong ones so am selling a pare two. They are 215/55/17 Toyo Snowprox, they get good reviews. Based in Scotland but would send. I have put them on the For Sale section. These are good tyres which I think are now out of stock. Let me know if you would like them.

hora
    Free Member

Michelin Alpins are consistently voted the highest (occasionally beaten by Conti winters).

thegreatape
    Free Member

The insurance increase issue was last winter. It is highly unlikely anyone will see their premium increase due to fitting winter tyres anymore.

z1ppy

Any thoughts on Dunlop Sp Wintersport 3D, quoted @ £83 per wheel fitted.. found them slightly cheaper online but only slightly and still need to get em fitted…

coffeeking
    Free Member

We’ve just ordered 4x avon ice touring tyres – they come across fairly well rated across the board even against the big boys and they’re cheap as chips. I’ll be sticking to my rain tyres and 4wd, and just not driving like a loon.

vorlich
    Free Member

Here’s some tyre tests from ADAC, [the German AA], reckon the Germans are probably more clued up on this than we are:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2009_Winterreifen_Test_205_55_R16.aspx?ComponentId=29880&SourcePageId=31821

Open in Chrome for translation

andyl
    Free Member

We’ve already had this one.

Correct answer is all 4 tyres unlike chains which you can get away with fitting to just the drive wheels as they are for forward traction.

molgrips
    Free Member

No brainer. They’re not like chains ie just to get you moving, they help you drive in all cooler weather. They grip better even in the dry when it’s winter; better in mud and rain; better on black ice and of course snow.

Definitely get four – you do want to go around corners don’t you?

They’ll save you money in the long run too as your summer tyres wear a lot in winter so two sets of tyres should last more than twice as long as one set of summers.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dunlop Sp Wintersport 3D

IIRC Autoexpress tested this years version (now called 4D I think) and gave it top marks but it was a pre production model so didnt actually put it in the top 3. So in summary – a 3D will be better than fine!

As for 2 vs 4 debate – I’ve done 2 winters with 2 on the front (fwd) and as we live on a slight hill (but regular visits at inlaws on a steep hill) the sideways excitement just got too much: always braking, coming back down the hill and we now put 4 on at least one car.

You can live with 2. And get going. Stopping is more entertaining esp on a hill for some reason.

With a RWD you defo need all 4. A non braking non steering 5 series is not something I’d risk others lives with again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would also suggest Nokian WR D3 cos they are awesome and optimised for mud, slush and snow rather than pure snow performance which is what we need here.

andyl
    Free Member

I noticed that Nokian have replaced the WRG2 with a new range and now I want new ones 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I wanted the A3 with the central band for quietness and economy.. but they don’t do it in my size.. ah well.. I’ll have to stop being such a geek…

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh btw.. if you are thinking of 2 tyres you are thinking of pulling up your street in the snow.. well imagine braking into a corner at 30mph and hitting black ice.. with much gripper tyres on the front you’d be whipped into a spin faster than you could say ‘I wish I’d listened to molgrips’ I reckon.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Winter Tyres x2 or x4?’ is closed to new replies.