Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Winter tyres for my Astra
  • TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Afternoon all

I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for some winter tyres for my Astra (1.7 cdti) I do about 500 miles per week getting to work and back and was thinking that some winter tyres would be a good plan.

I currently have Continental contact2’s and was just thinking about just replacing the two on the front.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Buy a couple of steel wheels as spares then put your current wheels in your shed or garage until March. Next winter just swap the front wheels over again.

Im planning on doing that for next winter. 4 Steel wheels off ebay for my Focus for about £40 then put winter tyres on them and just swap around when you want/need to. only takes 30 mins with a trolly jack.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m on Michelin Alpin’s. Very impressive.

stumpy01

mytyres do steel wheel/tyre combo’s.

Just beware that availability is a bit hit & miss and the prices have rocketed in the last few weeks (doubled in some circumstances).

Some eBay sellers are doing part-worn winter tyres (as the tread depth limit in some European countries is 6mm for winter tyres – so they are bringing them over to the UK). They might be worth a look, depending on how much tread you actually are getting.
    Always a bit unconvinced by 2nd hand tyres though…

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Yes that is my plan on going but currently living in a flat and looking for another house so dont have the storage, was just wondering if anyone had any recomendations for what tyres are good…..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Always a bit unconvinced by 2nd hand tyres though…

So if you bought a s/h car do you put new tyres on straight away?

stumpy01

sharkbait – Member

So if you bought a s/h car do you put new tyres on straight away?

No, but I will check the sidewalls for any blistering/kerb damage etc, & the tread surface for screws/nails/glass.
    If they are not in what I consider to be a satisfactory condition I would ask for the cost of replacements to be taken off the cost of the car or the tyres to be replaced before I pick the car up.
    I did this on my current car.

And if I did buy a s/h car and subsequently had any doubts about the integrity of the tyres, I would change them without question.

Hope that answers your question.

Macavity
    Free Member

Any of the well known brands do good winter tyres,
    Michelin, goodyear, continental etc plus Vredestien, Sava are good.

Its probably more a case of what if anything you can get, plus 2 (of any )winter tyres is good for the snow but 4 winter tyres in better .

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Have fitted Nokian WRG2 M&S Winter Tyres. Can thoroughly recommend them. However, winter tyres are like hens teeth at the moment. Any winter tyres will revolutionise you car’s handling and abilities in the snow and cold.
    Basically, if you can find some at the right size, and a sensible price (or not if you need them), get them fitted.
    Also, check in your handbook. It may recommend a different size tyre to the standard size. For example, mine said to fit 185/65/R15 instead of the summer size of 195/65/R15.
    Haven’t bothered informing my insurance company, because I have fitted the winter tyres recommended in the handbook.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it worth getting winter tyres for all 4 wheels for the ultimate in grip or is it not really worth it and best to stick to just the driven wheels?

BadlyWiredDog

I love these winter tyre threads, they’re the ultimate in digital deja vu… I think the correct STW answer(s) are as follows:

1. [sensible] It makes sense to have similar levels of grip on all four corners unless you’re happy with the rear of the car overtaking the front in corners.

2. [straight lines only] Just do the driven wheels, start off fine and worry about the corners when you reach them…

3. [smug] You don’t need winter tyres, only bad drivers need them. I managed to get my Porsche 911 Turbo up Box Hill on sheet ice no problem at all while a number of Land Rovers were stuck helplessly around me.

Personally I’d go for ‘1’ if only for peace of mind. Not being Carlos Fandango, I find that I prefer all my wheels to be travelling in roughtly the same direction.

To the OP, Conti Winter Contacts seem pretty good, but as above, any winter tyre is going to out-perform summer stuff in winter conditions.

falkirk-mark

The tyre websites tell you to get all 4 done but I would personally only do the front on fwd (funny how snow chains and socks only come in pairs)and not drive like a pillock.
    Waits for someone to help me see the error of my ways.

qwerty
    Free Member

fleet of Zafiras at work fitted with Michelin Alpins this year, autos with the snow button and it performed well the other day whilst others failed. No a studded tyre so don’t expect to rally around but i think they make sense. Cost a lot though

turin
    Free Member

RE Mytyres, I ordered wheels and tyres as a combo package on the 1st of December. Still waiting on them, apparently they are sitting in some warehouse in Oldbury, and they have been since the 14th of December.

Im waiting for the day they get delivered, not because Ill actually to fit them and see how they perform, but just because of Sods law that will be when the unseasonally warm balmy spring will start!!!

BadlyWiredDog

The tyre websites tell you to get all 4 done but I would personally only do the front on fwd (funny how snow chains and socks only come in pairs)and not drive like a pillock.
    Waits for someone to help me see the error of my ways.

The obvious point is that chains and socks are basically intended for short term use at low speeds – they’re generally limited to 30mph or so – and most people in those conditions will be driving very cautiously and with an awareness that things are likely to let go. Sure, you could buy winter tyres and drive around on tippy-toes, but they’re intended as all-round winter tyres, not just for snow, generally driving in temperatures consistently below about 7?C.

So, if you don’t fit four, you then have two very grippy wheels and two which are significantly less grippy which is an ideal scenario for losing one end of the car.

Have you actually driven with winter tyres or is this all theoretical?

kennyNI
    Free Member

All 4.

Unless you’re happy with a very oversteery car by using standard tyres on the rear.

At any time of year, it’s recommended to put the best tyres on the rear, no matter what wheels are driven. So that sort of leads to 4 for the winter on FWD.

Just had winter tyres fitted in time for the most recent batch of snow, Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip M+S with the snowy/ice symbol also. The difference in grip is immense. I’ve one of those BMW RWD (135i) cars, but am getting held up by FWD (these are the best cars for snow, they hark) and 4×4 soft-roaders on the wrong tyres now, on completley untreated roads. More chance of getting beached than losing grip.

As an aside, so much cheaper getting direct form BMW. Local dealer ordered from Germany and recent euro changes meant it was cheaper than originally quoted. Online tyres sites are taking the **** at the prices they are charging now. Seems to be around 50% increase from when I first looked at start of November. Local tyre sellers couldn’t get.

P20

We’ve got Continental tyres as kwikfit had them on offer. The works cars have the more expensive michelin. They are all impressive.
    Put four on though, the difference in grip is like night and day. The video below will show you and thats using all seasons on the back ‘ 1.30ish.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtAm7RsTmE[/video]

MrOvershoot

Scamper – Member

I’m on Michelin Alpin’s. Very impressive.

Had a set on my old car, got round all of the Peak District in Snow/Ice with no bother and as it was only 1.4L they did the rest of the year fine 😀
    Powerful cars are fine for dry well maintained roads but shedmobiles are the answer most of the year if you don’t care.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have rain tyres – Uniroyal somethings on the front of my Pug and Millennium on the back. This morning I drove the car up the road I drive daily, came to the usual LH turn, reduced speed in advance and… my rear washed out. Next turn – the same. Why? Ice on the road.
    I’d be getting spare wheels with proper winter tyres at some point. It’s just too unnerving when your car is as well-mannered as a typical teenager.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Thanks all (good video P20) so looking for 4 winter tyres now then…. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres for my Astra’ is closed to new replies.