Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • winter tyres (car, not bike)
  • alfabus
    Free Member

The snow based armageddon we have had for the last couple of years has led me to believe that buying a set of winter tyres might be a good investment… my dad bought some in the middle of the winter last year, and the difference they made was incredible – previously stranded car became perfectly usable.

I’ve been thinking about getting a set of steel wheels with winter tyres fitted and sticking them in my man-cave (plenty of space) ready for when winter strikes. Probably better to buy them now, rather than wait until I need them and can’t get them delivered!

Bit of quick googling found this place; anyone used them, or got any other recommendations… looking like around £500 for a set of 4, fully fitted and delivered.

Dave

meeeee
    Free Member

got mine from them last year, spot on, quick delivery, wheels fitted fine.

redted
    Free Member

Neighbour did exactly that, steel wheels and winter tyres with similar results, difference was like night and day. That was on an A4 estate. Well worth it if you can afford it it seems.

flatfish
    Free Member

Got some snow chains from costco about three weeks ago costing £50 plus vat for the wifes car.
    Got my winter tyres last year from a local tyre firm. By god they make a difference.
    BUY THEM NOW AND SAVE THEM TIL THE COLD COMES! You know there’ll be panic buying of tyres come a cold snap in january.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got snow chains, which I did use in the UK last year.. but they are such a faff that they normally only come out in the worst conditions on final approach to a ski resort.

Avoiding the panic buying and royal mail disasters was exactly my thinking.

It’s not normally like me to plan ahead, but there is a first time for everything 😀

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I’ll be spending some money!

Dave

sweaman2
    Free Member

Just a quick word of caution… my car (Mitsubishi) has internal Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) so when I fitted some winter tires on steel rims without the TPMS all sorts of warning lights came on….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘winter tyres (car, not bike)’ is closed to new replies.