Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Winter tyres
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Am I better going for narrower tyres in the winter? Currently running nn front and rr rear both 2.25.

I think 2.25 is about the widest I could use on my cube 29er.

Would I be better dropping down to a 2.0

transapp
    Free Member

Nn tends to hold onto mud quite a bit, although still provides good traction till clogged. Narrower will mean better clearance of course. Mud X 2.0?

footflaps

There is no one universal winter tyre. If it’s really muddy and wet, then a thin hard tyre like Mud Shark 1.5″ is best, but they’re terrible grip wise on hard pack stuff and gravel, so it’s all a matter of compromise.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Mud x have been ordered, 29×2.0

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well really depends what and where you ride. Tend to run minions all year round

Northwind

Yeah, tbh even 2 people riding the same route will end up with different opinions. Me, I don’t like xc mud tyres, to be honest there’s not one I’ve tried that I’m happy with. Mud X, Trailraker, Medusa, all one trick ponies and that one trick is no fun at all.

But then when my local trails are bad enough that mud tyres become a completely good idea, I’m not riding them because I’d like them to still exist come spring. But then I’m lucky, I have that option.

So… I use Barons or Hillbillies when there’s fun mud to be ridden, and the rest of the time I use normal tyres that can do mud a bit- minions, butchers, deknobbed nevegals, etc, and I tailor my route to the conditions rather than tailoring my bike to the route. Also, I laugh when I fall off.

But ymmv.

widge34
    Free Member

I have mud x and used them most of this year. Switched to Specialized storm last week and I have to say they are much better than the mud x at gripping through the mud.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Wont help you much but I have some 2.35 Maxxis Swamp Things in super tacky that I put on over winter. They are draggy and slow on the flat and climbs but they grip like shit to a blanket so I can live with that.

globalti
    Free Member

Tread width and pattern don’t make any difference when faced with variations in temperature and surface, which can very from refrozen broken-up snow to slush. Tread compound probably matters more in those conditions, same as it does on a car tyre; winter tyres for cars are amazing.

Mugboo

I’ve run a swampthing upfront all year, it’s v confidence inspiring. High roller out back. Both in 2.35 60a compound .

darkcyan
    Free Member

It’s the rider not the tyres!

According to our skills teacher anyway.

DC

NB swear by mudx

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Beavers 29×2.0 give great grip and frame clearance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.