Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Winter training wheels for roadie
  • DT78
    Free Member

Whats the best £ versus reliability at the moment? Seem to be a number of sales on so what would you recommend?

Merlin are doing a bundle deal on the shimano 501 with tyres tubes and 105 cassette for £136. I do have tyres and cassettes but spares are always good.

Anything out there to rival that? Will I get super annoyed at riding wheels that weigh a ton (only ridden nice wheels to date….)

cynic-al
    Free Member

501s aren’t well sealed, you need tiagra or ideally 105 for that.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm how about pro lite Garda? Can’t seem to find many reviews

cynic-al
    Free Member

No idea. R501 is good for the price, handbuilts may last longer and be worth re-building.

Many cheap factory wheels are essentially disposable.

MikeWW
    Free Member

I always use the 501’s in the winter. Normally get at least a couple of years out of them ( fronts longer) despite salt/ crud etc. Makes the summer bike and wheels feel even better. Good value IMO

DT78
    Free Member

It seems 105 on open pros is likely to be over £300 quite a bit more than I wanted to spend…may go for those shimanos

Bregante

£225 at merlin.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-hub-on-mavic-open-pro-rim-59395.html

Actually. Ignore me rear is out of stock. Pretty sure I saw others in stock elsewhere at a similar price when I was looking.

Bregante
    captain-slow
    Free Member

mavic aksiums at decathlon – £145 a pair

sorted

rich-c
    Free Member

I have just got a pair of these for the winter bike, and tbh if they only last a season I’ll be happy, but I suspect with a bit of tlc they’ll be ok for 3ish depending on my mileage.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-wh-r501–28700-c-road-wheel-set/aid:100100

karnali
    Free Member

Dt78 I’ve got a pair of shimano 500 or 501 little use £60 posted with tyres and tubes if ur interested.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got my Open Pro on 105 from Rutland Cycling for under 200 quid earlier in the year. Worth looking to see what they’ve got.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Open sports have marginally more metal = better for winter

jonba
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be that concerned about hub life as you are going to get through rims pretty quick as well riding through winter. One of the reasons I moved to a disc braked commuter. Rims weren’t lasting more than about 2 years.

Planet X always used to be good for cheap wheels.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Winter training wheels for roadie’ is closed to new replies.