Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Winter training road bikes?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I've got a road bike, a carbon Kona Zing with a few upgraded bits as they've failed, and it's nice – needs clip-on mudguards for the winter tho.

Is there any point in getting a winter training bike like roadies do? I can't imagine what the advantage would be.

the-muffin-man

I can't imagine what the advantage would be.

So your best bike doesn't get trashed by all the road salt.

If you're going to clean your bike after every ride then that isn't a concern, but most folk just chuck their bike in the shed after a wet/cold night ride!

molgrips
    Free Member

Right. My frame's carbon, so I haven't been worrying about salt 🙂

the-muffin-man

Right. My frame's carbon, so I haven't been worrying about salt

…are your brakes, rims, hubs, spokes etc., carbon too! 😉

rootes1

Right. My frame's carbon, so I haven't been worrying about salt

what about all the metal bits attached to the frame?

molgrips
    Free Member

They are made out of the same material that they would be on a winter bike…!

cynic-al
    Free Member

needs clip-on mudguards for the winter tho.

So it has proper mudguards also, appropriate tyres, cheaper bits, set up for longer rides…

aP
    Free Member

Have you seen carbon/alu galvanic corrosion?
    Winter bikes are good.

the-muffin-man

They are made out of the same material that they would be on a winter bike…!

Yes, but people generally kit their winter bikes out with budget, second hand or old kit! So it doesn't matter too much if it gets trashed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also proper mudguards save brakes & front mech.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Most of my riding is training.. don't feel like doing it with cheap bits.

I thought maybe there was some kind of comfort or usability advantage. My bike did three years on the same kit, and only had to change the shifters when the internals broke. So I'm not worried 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are either some sort of low-mileage pooftah, or live in the soft south!

jonb
    Free Member

Winter bikes are just sacrificial. Run on a low budget normally just replaced with old stuff off the race bike.

They are normally less racy as people are getting in long miles not racing, they take full mudguards not just clipons so keep you a lot drier. Tougher wheels to deal with worse roads (always seems to be more stones in winter)

It depends how much you will ride it. It may work out cheaper to ride th e summer bike, wash it lots and spend the money replacing bits that do get corroded.

oldgit
    Free Member

I find any road bike that's not my nice bike is okay for winter duties.
    I do like a bit more comfort as the rides are generally a bit slower. I also tend to use easier gears. Plus I'm usually pretty well dressed which is another reason for a tad more comfort.
    To keep my bikes new and ready if I want to race, I'm getting a s/s crosser for winter that I'll chuck all my spares on.
    My favorite ever winter bike was a 531c Birds of Colindale with guards, a mix of campag SR and Weinmann.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

*Evil grin*

Get a fixed.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

*distant look*

Made of steel..with full mudguards…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Winter training road bikes?’ is closed to new replies.