Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Winter Training Goals…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What goals have you set yourself fitness wise for the winter?

I’d like to stabalise my weight at less than 74kg.
    Start doing sets of 20 pull ups.
    When I can finally run again start working towards a 5min mile.

What are yours?

yunki
    Free Member

First off I shall get new glasses ‘cos I thought this thread was going to be about goats..

Secondly.. just making sure that I build back up to and maintain three rides per week which has been impossible all year due to injury..

Thirdly.. being a bit more conscientious regarding dietry input..

also TSY’s post has inspired me to throw in some push/pull ups as well.. I’ve been slacking on those since being a daddy..

that is all

iDave
    Free Member

By March I want to not shit myself when I think about the swim part of an Ironman, so I think a bit of pool time.
    And found this yesterday – http://www.transgrancanaria.net/eng/paginas/home
    *ponders*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Swimming is a constant goal for me iDave. Not being able to cycle for the last month has seen my swimming come on no end 🙂

Why do you keep finding these crazy running events? And did you see my world cycle challenge thread?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why do you keep finding these crazy running events?

Finding them is one thing.

What goals have you set yourself fitness wise for the winter?

None. How are you getting on with that five minute mile? Or have you seen sense and realised it’s not possible?

FuzzyWuzzy

Just trying to maintain the fitness I have (which isn’t a whole lot) so I don’t start next year like I’ve never ridden a bike before (which usually happens).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Darcy – I haven’t been able to walk properly for a month and my knee keeps giving way… not very well in summary. 😛

allthepies
    Free Member

yunki+1 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I’d also like to get sub 74kg. I need to start doing exercise outside of biking and frisbee, I keep meaning to start running and do circuits. I’d like to get to a sub 6 minute mile – screw 5 minutes, that’s crazy talk!

samuri
    Free Member

Just carrying on as I am really.
    120+ miles per week and 100 situps a day.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

samuri – why on earth do you do 100 situps a day?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’ve challenged myself to commute everyday throughout November (24 miles a day), combined with also giving up booze for the month.

I’m interested to see what impact that has on my weight, I’m currently 14.5st and normally have a couple of pints a day…

RustyMac

Oh well i guess someone has to be the first fatty to contrabute to this tread. Come spring time i would like to

1 Be Sub 100Kg pref sub 98kg
    2 Have lost the tag of a fair weather biker and ride through the winter
    3 Not be the slowest rider on club rides any more

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

samuri – why on earth do you do 100 situps a day?

Have you not seen his abs?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m with you RM 😀

1) loose approx 6-8kg
    2) stop injuring myself and ride through winter
    3) try going to the gym before work (using a 3 day free trial at a diff gym to see if this is possible next week)
    4) start rowing again at the gym

i want to be fitter before spring starts instead of spending spring trying to get fit for the summer and injuring myself so i cant enjoy the summer anyway!

mactheknife

After a year of injuries i want to get my running back up to where it was last year.

Keep the biking going and get some swimming in preparation for some triathlons next year. Thats the goal for the winter and next year 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Come Spring 2012 I’d like to be the equivalent of an MTB Ninja.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Get to 2nd cat next season and hand down some serious pain

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tricky how far across the South do you race?

trickydisco
    Free Member

well mainly somerset.. but might venture further to get more races in next year. I want to do it properly

(will do a few xc races as well)

Just preparing my mtb for some local cross races

thomthumb
    Free Member

imporove on core strength
    improve flexibility
    increase knee strength/ control
    drop a few kg
    nice steady base

hopefully this should see me enter spring with a few less niggly pains.

kudos100
    Free Member

Gain back a stone of muscle.
    Get my fitness back to a level where I can just about hang with some guys who race.
    Crack flat tabletops and sideways whips 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Would I have to start in Cat 4 if I started road racing? What is the level of competition like? Are there any bench marks I can look to as to what my fitness / ability needs to be?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Learn to swim proper front crawl

Build a proper base of sensible running training without getting injured by building up too fast

One long ride per month

Get my old mtb from father in law’s garage and build it up as a singlespeed

Under 37mins for Leeds Abbey Dash on 20th Nov.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

teaboy – what’s your plan on the swimming front? Have you looked at any of the swimming tuition places? Swim smooth, total immersion etc?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep 4th cat is where you start. I’d say just turn up to some races and give it a go.

Are you a member of a road club? If not i’d recommend joining one. You learn lots off other riders and racers and can practice drills, riding in a group, drafting and pace lining.

The thing about road racing you realise it’s not all about fitness. I got caught out many times with this.. bad tactics, bad positioning, not reading the race very well..going too hard when it was my turn to pull.

But I learnt lots from it.

If you can afford it have a fitness test to see where you’re at. I did this last november and did 5 months of religious training (av 8 hrs a week)

instanthit
    Free Member

Get in a solid base of winter training; as its my 50th next year i want to challenge myself to enter something different on and off road. Run a sub 1.30 half marathon (havent done this for about 10 years).
    Stop eating loads of crap while watching tv in the evenings!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers Tricky, I’m not, no. Only bought a road bike this year but thinking about doing some racing, can average some pretty good speeds on my tod but experience of riding in a group is limited.

Sounds like I need to find a club in the Oxfordshire area and just get on with it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

TSY – good question!

My aim is to do decent triathlons and open water swims so I really want to be efficient.

I’d ideally like to get lessons but it’s tricky to fit them in with a young family so I’ve been looking at both Swim Smooth and TI.

I like that they both start off with drills to get the technique right. The TI website utterly summed me up – fairly fit in general but struggling to move water out of the way and knackered after a couple of lengths!

From what I read I like the sound of TI and will have a look at the book, but has anyone got any tips/ recommendations/ experiences of learning in Leeds/ Airedale/ Wharfedale?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i got better at swimmin by watching TI vids on youtube – not a brilliant swimmer but much better.

instanthit
    Free Member

Re swimming topic, if its any help i used to do triathlons and was a crap swimmer. I had half a dozen 1-1 lessons to improve technique and my swim times improved dramatically. Even though i havent done a triathlon for over 15 years i can still get back in the pool and knock out 800m quite comfortably mainly on good technique.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

teaboy – I bought the TI DVD and think it’s been instrumental in getting me to swim well. I’ve been looking at the swim smooth website recently and think on the whole it might be better.

IMO the ‘easy freestyle’ TI techniques might be focused too much on gliding.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cheers Tricky, I’m not, no. Only bought a road bike this year but thinking about doing some racing, can average some pretty good speeds on my tod but experience of riding in a group is limited.

Absolutely key.. also there’s crit races (very short) or road races. Persnoally find road races much, much harder. Crit races are good for getting much fitter (in my experience)

In some ways average speeds on your own don’t mean a lot for racing. We’ve had a few tri guys turn up to our 10mile Time trials who absolutely rinse it.. put them in a race and they get dropped… reason? they aren’t used to going into the red. they ride so much at their threshold and very rarely go anaerobic

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Get to 2nd cat next season and hand down some serious pain

Respect 🙂

Get stuck back into climbing and weights to regain my strength/muscle lost on my month long cycle trip and if possible, do a top roping course.
    Try cx racing
    Read the joe friel book loaned to me by cynic-al and put together a base training plan aiming to start racing in March
    Training camp in the sun in March
    Start running again on a regular basis
    Lose a bit of weight
    Get a VO2 test done and another body composition analysis to see i compare with end of season and base training.

edit

also there’s crit races (very short)

I met up with TSY after doing my first crit the night before which had given me the worst cough ever from trying so hard 😀 TSY i think you’d like them!

trickydisco
    Free Member

oh forgot..

and defend my Bristol Rollapaluza champion title 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Lose a bit of weight get some base miles in – due to injury last winter i missed that and felt like i was chasing form the whole season and never quite got there.

hp_source

I’d like to be as fit whe the clock’s go forward as I am now…. Have invested in ‘proper’ lights for the bike to help this happen. Also upping the amount of running I do.

Going to get out on the hills more and bag a few more lakeland/snowdonia peaks over winter (by foot, or by bike depending on access). Thinking if I can stretch to a new/2nd hand SLR, I may feel inspired to get some decent winter landscape shots.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Already started putting a good base in for next year. Turbo in week to program + gym and trail mtb at weekends. Mostly trail centre because its all weather. TBH weight just needs to be stable as I need plenty of energy. Training burns a lot of calories and experience shows that your performance is a more important indicator than weight loss although being lean helps. I have a regular loop that I ride which tells me how my performance is changing in relation to training.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll be doing less MTB’ing and more Roadie’ing as the trails morph into the Somme, So that means more spinning, loosing weight, gaining higher rpm aves and expanding lung capacity. I shall counteract all this efort with larger consumption of cake and tea.

The only swimming I’ll do is to catch up with either my windsurf board or kite board.

I’ll only do situp’s to get the TV controller and to pull the duvet over me and MrsBouy,

crazy-legs

I’ve got some new lights coming soon so I’m going to re-start my winter night road rides (used to do that quite a bit about 2-3 years ago).

Starting track racing again next week (the track league has actually been running for about 6 weeks now but I wanted some time off after the Three Peaks CX).

Oh and I’ll probably get my 2nd Cat back next year when road racing starts up again. I could have done it this year but was really just racing for fun and to get back into it. Still managed to win a crit though. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Winter Training Goals…’ is closed to new replies.