Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Winter sun biking – long weekend
  • ahsat

Have some time in late Feb. We were thinking of a long weekend for some winter sun. Tempted by something like Mallorca on the road bikes for 3-4 days to get some early season miles in (take that with a pinch of salt – we dont race!). Anyone any suggestions in a short flight? We might just hire bikes if it is just a weekend thing.

caspian
    Free Member

Do it! We’re in Mallorca now. Rented a bike for today and had a great time. Flybe go from Southampton to Palma direct so I know what I’m doing next Feb-Apr time. Pollenca supposedly has multiple bike hire shops and EUR 25/day gets you a decent enough road bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Basque MTB run winter enduro trips in Jan/Feb

jonba
    Free Member

Late Feb might be bit early for Majorca. Normally Teneriffe/Lanzarote at that time.

I was walking in Spain last Feb. Some very nice roads, warm weather and plenty of riders out and about though – couple of friends have been out. Stayed on the outskirts of Benidorm – Cheap out of season and as actually quite nice out in the country.

Saw these people advertised

http://www.ciclocostablanca.com/

curto80
    Free Member

Caspian i may be wrong but I think that flight is seasonal and only starts during the may half term.

bazzer
    Free Member

Would definitely say Lanzarote over Mallorca that time of year.

I have been to Lanza the last couple of years in Jan for a cycling trip. Its been great.

If you wanted anything a bit more structured and obviously more then a weekend, I have been with these guys.

https://www.tritopiatriathloncamps.com/lanzarote-camps

They wouldn’t force you to do the swimming and the running if you didnt want too 🙂

Cheers

Bazzer

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Temperatures in Malaga pleasant enough although a few days of rain during the month. Flights cheap and less than 3 hours from UK.
    Climate – Malaga – February

ahsat

Thanks for the replies all. Had thought this thread died. That’s useful stuff. We can fly direct Leeds to Palma, out Fri and back Monday the week we’ve got free. But if could do with seeing the sun a bit so maybe worth also looking at couple of other locations. In fact, Jet2 do a cycling holiday package, including transfers, flights, extra luggage, self catering hotel for £220 each for 3 nights. Never done package but is tempting. Should have kept those Jet2 vouchers you get every time you have a slightly bad flight.

globalti
    Free Member

Here’s what to do, go on this website:

https://ruralhotelsmallorca.com/?gclid=CNzMivnRztUCFXUz0wod99wH_g

Speak with the friendly and helpful Henrick and book a few nights at the quite stunning Cas Sant, a gorgeous old Finca that has been in the same family for 300 years. Arrive, walk 8 minutes to Calle de la Luna and hire bikes from Tramuntana Tours: http://www.tramuntanatours.com/

We hired a couple of Trek Emonda SL6 Pros from them. Good climbers and descenders, which is most of what you do in Mallorca.

If you don’t fancy a lovely old finca, stay in Port Soller, which is a nice quiet lttle resort and not full of package towerists then hire the bikes from Tramuntana’s other shop on the front. From Port Soller you can climb directly into the Tramuntana mountains or take the boat to Sa Calobra for the amazing climb over the mountains and back round to Soller.

Only one caveat: don’t get shafted with extra charges at the car hire desk like we did.

ahsat

Thanks globatti – Henrick got back to me. Looks lovely but its a bit more spendy than we want for a long weekend, considering we home to go further afield next year too. Port Soller and Tramuntana all look good recommendations.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Winter sun biking – long weekend’ is closed to new replies.