Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Winter Riding Gear
  • goldengus
    Free Member

Whats the best gear for cold winter riding?

Long sleeve top, fleece and waterproof jacket fine for me the first 10 minutes then im boiling! Any ideas on base layers and what do you wear a base layer with?

Cheers 😀

grahamt1980

Unless it is about -5 or raining I normally get by with a merino base layer, if really cold then add a softshell.
    I run hot though

wwaswas

Wind proof and breathable is most important. I tend to use an Endura Stealth plus a base layer most of the winter.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Merino riding jersey and softshell if its cold, below zero I add a merino base layer. But other items keep the heat in – cap under helmet, decent gloves, warm feet make a big difference to core temp. I’d never ride in a fleece, way too warm.

Northwind

How cold? How wet?

There’s almost no conditions where I’d be wearing all that stuff! My “proper cold” kit is just a warm baselayer and my waterproof or softshell, that works down as cold as it really gets in the UK, for me.

My “normal cold” is normal riding kit with a cheap fleece on top- works brilliantly this, not windproof so doesn’t heat you up as much when you’re moving.

Only exception is group rides, where you can’t control your pace, then I tend to add something a bit snugger.

gee
    Free Member

Craft Zero base layer, then either an intermediate wins stopper jacket for down to about 5-7 deg, below that I have thicker windstopper jackets.

If it’s raining I go to the gym.

GB

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Softshell on top, and choice of thin (polyester type) or merino base layer depending on the temp.

Tights are standard ones or some Canadian ones with wind/water resistant front and thinner back – excellent.

Gloves depend on the temp, but my new Pearl Izumi soft shell ones are great. Buff under helmet pretty much all year.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m using a base layer and a mid layer(either a long sleeve riding top or my endura fleece) with my gore tex paclite jacket….depending on the weather i’m either fine or i’m sweating like a pig…i also use a buff under the skid lid especially for the morning ride into work as its quite fresh at that time…but i’ve not had to get the heavy duty stuff out yet….still wearing my baggies…my colleagues think i’m bonkers for riding in the cold wet weather…..what they dont appreciate is the buzz you get from taking on mother nature and all she can throw at you.. 😀

iainc

another vote for merino base and waterproof soft shell here (Phantom if not baltic, Stealth if below about 5 deg). My Altura Attack Shell doesn’t come out much – in fact thinking about selling it !

brooess
    Free Member

My advice is dress to ride, not for the carpark. You generate a lot of heat cycling. IME you’ll be cold standing around in the carpark in kit which will be spot on as soon as you start riding.

The main thing is a windproof outer shell to stop you cooling down later on.

Whether I’m up North or down South I find a single warm layer + one windproof outer later is almost always enough. A buff around the head can make a massive difference to your overall warmth IMO

njee20
    Free Member

Base layer, soft shell.

IHN

What Brooess said – my rule is ‘cold in the car park’

I usually just wear a long sleeve top and a wind/waterproof jacket (eVent for great breathability). Maybe chuck a gilet on under the jacket if it’s really cold. Bottoms wise, lycra bibs + knee warmers and waterproof shorts over the top. If it’s proper cold I’ll wear tights over the bibs and under the shorts. Two pairs of socks and winter boots on my feet.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Ditto the merino baselayer + windproof (dry) or waterproof (wet).

I find a Buff worn round the neck is worth an extra layer (for standing round in the carpark), but can be taken off and stuffed in a pocket whilst riding when you warm up.

rocketman
    Free Member

Long sleeve top, fleece and waterproof jacket fine for me the first 10 minutes then im boiling!

Hardly surprising tbh. Don’t think I’ve ever worn that much kit even at -15 during the winter of 2010-11

Have a wander down to your local TK Maxx and take a look in their outdoor section they have a variety of base layers and light-but-densely woven jerseys.

Was there last week and picked up a couple of lightweight windproof softshell/fleece things one was £14 the other was £16.

FuzzyWuzzy

Good baselayer (Craft zero for me) then either a l/s jersey, windproof softshell or waterproof softshell depending on the conditions. If it’s bitterly cold but dry I’ll use an intermediate layer along with the windproof softshell, I tend to stay indoors if it’s bitterly cold + wet…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Another Craft Zero fan here. I wear the ss version with a regular ss jersey on top (I need the pockets), with arm warmers and a windproof gilet. If it’s raining I replace the gilet with a light waterproof jacket.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Winter Riding Gear’ is closed to new replies.