Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • winter project – steel hardtail
  • adrec
    Free Member

Decided to build myself a bike on the cheap this winter using 2nd hand bits off here or eBay or wherever I can find them. At the moment I’m thinkin a piglet, or a sanderson breath, or maybe a cotic if I can get one cheap. Is there anything else I should consider? Don’t wana spend more than about 200 quid for a 2nd hand frame and am planning to run it with 120mm forks.

adrec
    Free Member

And I don’t want an on one

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a large kinesis decade virsa frame (mk11 version)about 8 months old – warranty replacement on mk1 frame and a pair of 120mm fox flr (fit) version in 9mm qr – 2/3 years old that i will be looking to sell soon.

adrec
    Free Member

Not looked at a decade, will give it a google. will be needing a med or17in frame unfortunately

wolly
    Free Member

i was looking at a p7 frame on fleabay but bought an on-one today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200866942660?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

ceepers

It’s not steel but I will have a 17.5 2012 genesis core frame with qr, post , 70 stem and 680 bars n grips available as soon as cotic get their next batch of souls in (couple of weeks time)

Nipper99
    Free Member

the virsa is a really great riding frame esp the mk11 which seems to have sorted the seat post weakness on the mk1. 29er is right for me hence the 26 doesn’t get used much anymore.

adrec
    Free Member

You gonna put it in the classifieds on here creepers? I’ll keep an eye out for it

ceepers

Yeah or you can have first look via email in profile if u like. Great bikes but I’m going down a size and using that as an excuse to get a soul!

dynamite
    Free Member

Try a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert, theyre changing the steel of the latest version from reynolds 725 to something else so theyre selling off the last of the frames, 225quid so about your price range.
    Im 5’7″ and just had a 15.5inch delivered, cant wait to start the build.

peterfastlane
    Free Member

I have a cove handjob size 17 in white which I no longer use. Had it new in 2008. It is nice and light for a steel frame, and geo perfect for a 120 fork.average used condition, cleans up well with no dents and rust, but some paint chips/rubs. Will part with it for £150.00 and include hope red seat lamp, used headset fitted, and a front mech if needed.

adrec
    Free Member

Could you send across a couple of pics, that could be just the job.

donks
    Free Member

Just bought a fire eye Flame from CRC for £150 looks pretty good, can be run single speed or geared and has capability to 150mm travel

matther01
    Free Member

Seen some cheap genesis latitude frames going somewhere for £199 in red medium.

adrec
    Free Member

Did look at the flame, but they only got tiny sizes, guess that could because its intended as a mess about bike.Xas after something a bit more xc I think

fattyre500
    Free Member

How about a second hand Pipedream frame ??

honourablegeorge

adrec – Member
    Not looked at a decade, will give it a google. will be needing a med or17in frame unfortunately

Was a cosmetic damage one on CRC the other day, in your size

adrec
    Free Member

It’s a maxlite and its 200 quid, good buy but want something a bit less racy

ivantate
    Free Member

I was just about to break up my mk1 bluepig. 18inch.

Running 130mm RS Recons, rides fine with that length of fork.

adrec
    Free Member

How tall are you ivantate? A blue pig or piglet on 130mm might do the job

ivantate
    Free Member

6’1. Got another inch or so left on a 400mm post.

If you want I can sort out pics.

adrec
    Free Member

it sounds like it could be a bit big. been on the ragley site an assuming the sizing is the same as the current models its saying I should be after a 16in.

ivantate
    Free Member

Ok, no worries.

_tom_
    Free Member

Depending on your height maybe try a Charge Blender. I’ve had Trailstars and a BFe, and I still think this is the most fun hardtail I’ve ridden. The seat angle looks steep on paper but it’s actually fine. I didn’t struggle at Cannock anyway, I don’t really do much in the way of xc epics or anything though! Spot on with forks 100-120mm as well. I’m 5’9″ with short legs (29-30″ inside leg trousers) and it’s fine.

adrec
    Free Member

Decided to go for a genesis latitude or altitude depending on what I can get my hands on. Anyone had any problems with either of these?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘winter project – steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.