Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Winter Peak District route advice
  • funkybaj
    Free Member

I’ve been looking around for a suitable winter Peak District route to ride this Tuesday, I’ve not ridden the Peak much but have done some of the popular routes – cut gate, various bits around ladybower etc.

I’ve spotted a few routes further towards Hathersage, some that go near Lady Cannings which sounds interesting for a stop off. I was looking at either route 3 or 4 from this mbr list.

Anyone with more experience have a recommendation on either? Or any other options that would be a better bet? Cheers

Esme
    Free Member

We walked in that area on Friday. Not a lot of snow about, except for Stanage Edge itself. However, the new bridleway below Burbage Rocks (“Green Drive”) was rather icy with compressed snow, so that might take a while to clear.

I can’t comment on your suggested routes, although the Eastern Moors Tour might be another option.

nickdavies

Theres a good dark peak loop in the vertebrate book, kinder loop i think its called there is a free download of it. Typical dark peak, rocky and rideable in all weathers. If its icy and really cold i tend to really like the stanage/blackamoor figure of 8, again in the book but google that and youll get a route.

Edit: looking your links my routes mentioned are pretty much 4&5, however route 4 doesnt contain blackamoor, which is pretty simple – out on the roman road at the start off sheephill road youll see a bridleway back down to sheephill road, ride over to blackamoor, there are 2 descents you can either do both using whitelow lane to return to the top and then down again and use the bridleway to link back into the route on your link. This bit is where you want it cold and icy though, not so much wet and muddy.

Pook

Some winter routes here from Peak District MTB

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/?s=Winter

teenrat

Rode cannings yesterday. Very very icy. Houndkirk moor very slippery. However, Blacka and the devils elbow was absolutely fine and could be ridden as fast as ever

ebennett

I’d go for the VB weatherproof route (#5), though with the caveat that there was a LOT of ice around on Saturday at Ladybower so there’s a decent chance that the top of Jacob’s ladder might still be icey tomorrow. Worth having a look at keeper of the peak on twitter for updates on conditions!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Winter Peak District route advice’ is closed to new replies.