• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by luket.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter jackets
  • dynamiccoins
    Free Member

I know there are a few threads on this but has anyone tried either of these? I’ve a budget of up to £100.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-blackline-25l-packable-jacket

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rainproof-jacket-st-700/_/R-p-330643?mc=8640904&c=RED

I started cycling at the end of last year and struggled through with a crappy cagoule so need something. I do “run warm” so I’m not even 100% sure if I should go for a a soft or hard shell but I will definitely be out in the rain on occasion.

scruff9252

Anytime a question for good value sports stuff – the default is always Decathlon.

My current waterproof is starting its second or third winter is a Decathlon hard shell. Waterproof, breathable plus it has pit zips.

Does what it’s supposed to and fits well.

z1ppy

Decathlon kit it is great and thoroughly recommended, but I defected to Endura Singletrack back in January, and it really does make the decathlon kit look basic (though Singletrack is double the price, if not on sale.. I bought it on sale)

tonyd

Endura kit is good value.

How long do you tend to ride for OP, and whats the worst weather you plan to be out in? (plan and reality are often different I know). I ride most weather and rarely wear a full waterproof jacket on the MTB, but I tend to only ride for a couple of hours from home.

I generally layer up instead, and wear either a windproof gilet to keep my core protected and warm, or a thicker windproof jacket if it’s wet AND cold. I work on the assumption that I’m going to be wet anyway so layers mean warmth stays in, and windproofness stops the chill getting through.

vmgscot

I have just ordered one of those Nukeproof Blackline today (through CRC giving an extra 10% off them just now) as it looks same as the Nirvana that got good reviews (including here on STW). I’ll let you know how it goes when it turns up.

jonm81

Cyclesports.co.uk have Endura stuff in the sale at the moment with extra 10% off with code SUM10.

I picked up an MTR Shell for £75 yesterday and the MT500 jackets are just over £100.

stcolin
    Free Member

I have an MTR shell. Nice jacket, but the taped seams gave up after about 3 washes. Not sure it makes much difference. I’m looking to get something a bit more heavy duty for winter duties at the moment.

Blackflag
    Free Member

i have a Madison waterproof with pit zips that i can highly recommend. i have a few things from Madison and think their cost vs quality ratio is pretty good.

Kryton57

I’ve got my eye on a Galibier Mistral and Galibier Izoard fro Christmas. Both get raving reviews.

aide

I think pit zips are the answer here, have always struggled with running warm myself (even in colder weather) but have now got a jacket with pit zips and noticed a big difference

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Kryton57
    I’ve got my eye on a Galibier Mistral and Galibier Izoard fro Christmas. Both get raving reviews.

I’ve just sent a Galiber tempest jacket back , not because there’s anything wrong with it , quite the opposite, it felt real quality, good features, packed up uber small, but a little bit too snug for my liking on my belly ! … would of gone a size up but none in stock
    Id have a look at any of their products after receiving this jacket, very impressed

linusr

@Dynamiccoins I have the Nukeproof. It is very lightweight and packs down very small. Seems ok, though I have yet to use it in a really heavy, prolonged downpour.

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Thanks for the relies.

“How long do you tend to ride for OP, and whats the worst weather you plan to be out in?”

We do 3-5 hour rides around north Surrey. In the winter that can mean all sorts of weather. The majority though would be dry but with outings in showers and the occasion downpour.

“I have just ordered one of those Nukeproof Blackline today (through CRC giving an extra 10% off them just now) as it looks same as the Nirvana that got good reviews (including here on STW). I’ll let you know how it goes when it turns up.”

“@Dynamiccoins I have the Nukeproof. It is very lightweight and packs down very small. Seems ok, though I have yet to use it in a really heavy, prolonged downpour.”

Thanks.

I’ll have a look at the Endure stuff.

“i have a Madison waterproof with pit zips that i can highly recommend. i have a few things from Madison and think their cost vs quality ratio is pretty good.”

I did see Madison Zenith softshell and waterproof –

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-zenith-men-s-softshell-jacket-varcl004
    https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-zenith-men-s-waterproof-jacket-varcl003

At the mo I’m not sure if I should just go softshell

Kryton57

Id have a look at any of their products after receiving this jacket, very impressed

I’ve got a fair bit of thier kit now, the quality remains impressive. In fact I’ve just ordered some photochromic Regale glasses for MTB at £59 after my sweat corroded Oakley jawbreakers fell apart in my hands at the weekend. I really hope they suit my face.

rnscotch

I struggle with most bike specific gear due to owning a manly set of shoulders and pecs. The bike industry sizes makes me laugh in the real world i’m an xxxl which is around a 52″ yet a bike specific jacket in xxxl is a 48″ it’s about time they realised not everyone has the physique of a 12 year old girl.

hainman
    Free Member

My go to for jackets for wet winter rides or summer for that matter in Scotland is the Decathlon Forclaz jacket
    My older one is 10,000 and newer one is 15,000
    My mate has bought the MTB specific one and looks great,functions great but no zipped pit vents,More like flaps!
    I have a Madison jacket to but like other stuff I have the sizing is quite off

zerocool

As said above, Decathlon for good budget kit. Then you’re not paying for a brand name.

luket

I’m a couple of rides into a MT500. I’m pleased with it for use in colder weather but I would note it’s not really a small packable “just in case” jacket. It’s really nice in the cold, and I ride at night a lot, but if working hard and it’s not cold I’d want something lighter weight. Cut is quite generous. Ideally I’ll find a different hoodless, light and packable summer waterproof for warmer days and to keep in my pack.

I’ve also had two Galibier jackets for a few years, one summer one winter. Very much a roadie cut so very different thing to something like the above. And extremely short in the body. Only really work with roadie kit in my book. But good for the price as Galibier kit tends to be.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter jackets’ is closed to new replies.