Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Winter jacket needed. Looks like a minefield out there
  • Surfr
    Free Member

I’m trying to find a winter jacket to wear from now until March. It needs to be fitted and able to deal with hard sustained effort in the saddle. Winter chaingangs, fast commutes but also MTB night rides. I like the idea of soft shells and have a paramo velez smock for off the bike activities but it’s too baggy and has a hood. It does run warm too. Everything I read on jackets like the Endura stealth is that they are far too hot above 6 or so degrees. Do I just want a windproof soft shell like the Endura Windchill? How do these cope with a downpour? Would I be better off getting a stealth and putting up with warmth or go lightweight and put up with being soaking? Or do I need 3 jackets/gilets depending on the barometer?

jim
    Free Member

Like the Endura Windchill and it copes fine with a shower but it is defeated by prolonged heavy rain.

Gore Phantom?

vondally
    Free Member

marmot tempo, fairly water resistant but light and warm recommended by STW Matt and I would agree great item

tomsk01
    Free Member

Have a Sugoi softshell which used in combination with a merino wool base layer is great for anything this side of freezing, but it does not cope well with proper downpours, nor does it cope well with being crashed in. Have a Raceface aquanot for anything colder than freezing, and holds up pretty well to downpours (and being crashed in), but is overkill 95% of the time.

ac282

+1 for Gore stuff. Phantom or the Oxygen if you want something more fitted.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I have a North Face – TNF Apex softshell/windproof jacket. I was forced to wear it on a Cwmcarn loop because I’d forgotten to bring my altura waterproof.

The thing is, it held up exceptionally well – rain was kept at bay, warm without being boil in the bag. The problem is it’s my pub jacket, doesn’t have a low tail and “too nice” for trashing on trails.

I wish TNF did a mtb specific jacket out of this material – it’s great.

SiB
    Free Member

Endura stealth sees me good from autumn to spring. Yes, can get a bit warm but good underarm ventilation sorts this out. Great in prolonged downpours, not bulky and good breast and rear pocket.

rootes1

get a thin packable waterproof then layer up underneath depending on the temperature…

much more flexible

jfeb
    Free Member

[/quote]Phantom or the Oxygen if you want something more fitted.

+1

PUGSLEYNUT
    Free Member

Endura MT500 Jersey , base layer, buff, carry gortex jacket for real rain, great combo.

gothandy

Endura MT500 Jersey , base layer, buff, carry gortex jacket for real rain, great combo

+1 to this … great combo 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Endura Stealth here too. As SiB says, when it’s a little warmer just unzip side and arm vents for ventalation.
    I also found even in the coldest of conditions you only need a light base layer underneath.
    They’re expensive but well worth it IMO.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Agree with SiB and Mulletus. My Stealth does it all from October to April. They are warmish but have great ventilation so pretty easy to control your temperature. And they are completely bomb proof – don’t know how many major off’s mine has survived with no noticeable damage

neil853
    Free Member

what about about a rab vapourize? anyone use them? thinking of getting the smock one

Sandwich

The climbers shop have some Montane sample jackets for sale at 50% off. Have a look there first.

Clong
    Free Member

Gore Phantom. Used in temps from 14 down to -12. 14 degrees and its sleeves off, -12 and a mid weight merino is fine. Not claimed to be waterproof, but seems to shrugg off all but the biblical variety of downpours.

Surfr
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Going to look at a stealth in the flesh. It seems to make the most sense for my requirements.

LeeW

Good idea to look at them in the flesh as the sizing can be a little odd.

Great jacket though, well worth the money imo.

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve tried a whole bunch of jackets from the softshells like the stealth (wayyy too hot) to all varieties of waterproofs, eVent / Goretex etc. Generally speaking I’ve found waterproofs to not be breathable enough and softshells just get too soggy. The best of the bunch were a Nike that had lots of ventilation and the lightweight Rapha softshell.

What works best for me are decent baselayers (adjust number to conditions) and a Gore windstopper gilet with mesh back. Keeps my core warm and dry and this combination saw me fine all through last winter – some seriously heavy rain and snow with temps down to -10.

If it’s absolutely chucking it down and I’m on a long ride then usually I’ve a Rab eVent jacket in my pack but realistically after 20/30 minutes of hard riding in the rain with it on I’m likely to be sweating and wet from the inside.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

The Gore Bike Wear Tool III Windstopper?

kaiser
    Free Member

i can’t understand all the talk of the stealth being so warm , I normally run pretty hot but have found the stealth to actually be a little chilly when it’s cold , even with a l/s baselayer.

hh45
    Free Member

Endura MT500 jacket, either with or without a hood. I think that layering is much better than a big thick layer. I have a Gore soft shell that is ok if dry cold but in more than drizzle it turns into a soggy, heavy, slow to dry, beast.

trusky
    Free Member

does anyone use endura air defence ?

tf
    Free Member

I use a gore windstopper jacket with removable sleeves (not soft shell) most of the time for about 8 months of the year; not waterproof at all, but very high on my ‘best piece of mtb clothing ever’ list. For the seriously wet times in the winter I got Edura MT500 burner jacket; the design is excellent, and it is surprisingly breathable for a waterproof, and I like having a hood, but the seam tape came off on virtually all the seams after only 9 months of moderate use — Endura replaced it under warranty, but it took 6 weeks to sort out.

lovewookie

If it’s warm(ish) I use a Gore tex paclite, depending upon how cold it is either long sleeved jersey with short sleeved under or a light base under.

Full winter duties I have an Endura Lumilite. Bit sweaty in warm weather, but with a decent thermal base layer on it’s fine for down to -10.

When I’m using a waterproof as a main layer I like to have the flexibility to vent it, pit zips are an essential.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

My local bike shop is selling off Phantoms and Oxygens. Recommended. Also try a Contest SO – a Phantom without the removable sleeves

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I bought an Altura Attack long sleeved jersey from http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk and currently they have a discount of 15% up to 4/11/10 when you enter extra15 at checkout.

They’re the internet version of my local bike shop, but seeing as theykeep sending me discount codes I’ll often buy online rather than head down there!

For the gotty stuff I’ll wear a Pace eVent waterproof over the top.

BadlyWiredDog

what about about a rab vapourize? anyone use them? thinking of getting the smock one

The smock has an odd cut, narrow in the shoudlers, defo try before buying. Id look at the Vapour Rise Light, it’s lighter and less insulated, works well in anything up to light rain.

Bottom line for most people is that anything waterproof ain’t going to be breathable enough for mountain biking in most weather. Soft shells vary massively according to the fabric used, some sort of double weave like the TNF Apex stuff is more breathable than anything using a membrane or coating. I’ve got ‘a few’ and sort of juggle according to the weather. Carry a lightweight waterproof for really heavy rain. Use a Velez Smock – hood detaches – in sub-zero conditions and vent it on climbs with side zips, neck zips and rolling up sleeves.

I used a Gore Bike Wear Windstopper soft shell on the road and it works really well, I think because effort is more constant, but off road where there tend to be short periods of really hard climbing say, it’s too warm for me.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend a Mountain Hardware offwidth jacket. Its a thin softshell that is really tough and waterproof- I use it climbing and it withstands the abrasion of gritstone really well and is very good at keeping the water out. I’ve used a TNF apex softshell in the past for riding and it has to be bloody freezing for me not to boil in it but with the offwidth temperature control is easy as long as you layer correctly.

boblo
    Free Member

Somone above mentioned the Gore ‘Tool’ windstopper jacket. I have one of these, quite thick fabric with pit zips and very breathable but not very water resistant. Great for really cold days but much too warm (for me) when it’s not BBBBaltic (i.e. below zero).

Someone else mentioned the Gore Softshell, zip off sleeve thingy (Not the Phantom, it’s proper soft fabric not nylon baggy like the Phantom). I have one, it’s a ‘Complete’ (no more made sadly). Used it from +40c to about zero and it is a brilliant piece of kit, sadly though, not waterproof/resistant.

Last bit, I also use a Pertex windshirt to ward off light rain or a pukka Paclite Berghaus Denizen waterproof when it’s raining chats and chiens (no more made sadly since the Berghaus name licensee went bust). It’s Paclite innit, for good or bad….

Unfortunately, IME layering is the most flexible approach.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have two jackets: Gore Phantom for spring/autumn and maybe warmer/dry winter days and a Stealth for most of the winter (especially if there’s any rain about).
    The Stealth is pretty warm (and I’m a sweaty lad) but I like it a lot.

sharkbait
    Free Member

(Not the Phantom, it’s proper soft fabric not nylon baggy like the Phantom)

Phantom…. baggy? What 😕

ourmaninthenorth

For me, windproofing is more important that waterproofing.

Down to low single digits – gilet and arm warmers/LS jersey
    Single digits and lower – showerproof wind jacket.

boblo
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

(Not the Phantom, it’s proper soft fabric not nylon baggy like the Phantom)

Phantom…. baggy? What

Sorry, note to self: must be clearer 🙂

I meant nylon bag like rather than baggy in cut. I bought one for SWMBO and I’m not that keen on the fabric compared to the Complete.

sharkbait
    Free Member

For me, windproofing is more important that waterproofing.

Same fo rme when it comes to gloves. Given up completely on waterproof gloves as they just get wet from sweat. I have a pair of gloves made from Gore Windstopper and although they get wet eventually they are toasty and warm.

stevenieve
    Free Member

If you sweat as much as me, no waterproof material is going to wick the moisture away fast enough, I found the ‘Buffalo Teclite shirt’ the best solution.
    Don’t care if I get wet as long as I’m not jibbering with cold. Similar styling to your Paramo smock too. Well toasty, well vented and really fast drying. Just throw a base layer on underneath and you’re good to go

Surfr
    Free Member

Went for a Stealth after trying one on in the LBS. It fits like a glove aside from slightly long arms (I have very short arms). Looks very well made and I’m happy with the weight of the material. It will be warm but not too warm by the looks of things. Just waiting for rain now!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my stealth is great for cold weather, but i have never found it particularly waterproof? Its incredible for keeping you warm and the wind off, but water has never stayed at bay if its got seriously soggy out side! So mine needs washing what technique should i use to wash and re water proof? Heavy rain never beads off it boy more unlike my cheaper dhb one which beads of super heavy rain! Any tips, as i dont think you can tumble dry it either?

LeeW
    missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Winter jacket needed. Looks like a minefield out there’ is closed to new replies.