Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Winter is comming – serious copeing recommendations
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve stockpiled tinned food, and a gas stove to heat it on, have the shoe grips and the thermals ready, the house is well insulated, I’ve got a wind up lantern and torch…

Is there anything I’ve overlooked?

kudos100
    Free Member

booze

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Check.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kleenex?

Hohum
    Free Member

Anti-depressants!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes the overpriced winter tyres that everyone appears to beed these days.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve got plenty of bog roll. As for ADs, I tried them once and would rather be depressed than use them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Kleenex?

Good call, because you may well suffer from snuffly colds and stuff, so a supply of tissues would come in very handy.

At least, I think that’s what Flashy meant…

ton

gonads……………mtfu you big wendy………. 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Books to read or boxsets to watch on the television.

Something to break the unrelenting monotony of the darkness.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Assuming you arn’t suffering from a power cut…

grum
    Free Member

Thinking about getting one of these 😐

globalti
    Free Member

What about a radio set for listening to public announcements?

lunge

I have:
    A down jacket
    Some good wool socks
    A good tog duvet
    And a stout refusal to put the heating on until December…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Check. Wind-up, though I suspect from hearing the last ’emergency coverage’ from BBC Radio Solent and BBC Sussex you wouldn’t miss much.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

A copy of the Lib Dem manifesto from the last election. That way when you’re cold you can read it and keep yourself warm through sheer rage and hatred of what those traitorous b-tards have done.

🙄
    … on a more serious note, I’m keeping an Army entrenching tool in my car boot in case I have to dig the car out or get stuck (for an ESSENTIAL journey only). Cost me £15 quid and it’s case fits very nicely in a little recess above where the wheelarch alters the shape of my boot.

john_drummer
    Free Member

FFS this is the British Isles. Not Canada, Scandinavia, Central Europe & the like.

Winter here = a slight chance of perhaps a little bit of snow. but mostly wet & windy. Last year was a freak

Hohum
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    FFS this is the British Isles. Not Canada, Scandinavia, Central Europe & the like.

Winter here = a slight chance of perhaps a little bit of snow. but mostly wet & windy. Last year was a freak

The winter before last was also pretty horrible up here, not as horrible as last winter mind, but still too cold and snowy for my liking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    What about a radio set for listening to public announcements?

nich3000
    Free Member

Don’t forget a snuggie/slanket 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

Blue JML snuggie FTW! or a pink one for the laydee.

mtb2020
    Free Member

hibernation

molgrips
    Free Member

Last three or four years here have had enough snow to stop us getting out of our street for a few days.

Sonor
    Free Member

Is there anything I’ve overlooked?

A spell checker? 😉

geoffj

Its gonna be a mild one until Februaury anyway

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-thoughts-2011;sess=

godzilla
    Free Member

Im getting a Selk bag to keep me cosy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ok, Scotland excepted, I’ll give you that one

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t live in Scotland.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Of course, being a poster on this here forum, it goes without saying that you have a phat bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m hoping it does go a bit nuts again this year. I love the cold weather. I loved the 40 degree temperature differential from indoors to outdoors. I loved cycling in 10 day old snow that was still crisp and not a soggy mess.

Can’t imagine stockpiling anything or getting more prepared though, seems a bit overkill. I will park the diesel at the BACK of the drive this time, instead of putting it at the front blocking all the other cars in when it’s got waxed fuel lol.

thomthumb
    Free Member

we’ve had snow 4 or 5 times that made driving difficult/ dangerous/ impossible in the last 3 years. and i live on the south coast.

hora
    Free Member

Blanket under bedsheet- amazed at the difference it makes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

we’ve had snow 4 or 5 times that made driving difficult/ dangerous/ impossible in the last 3 years. and i live on the south coast.

I reckon you just need more skill 😉 😈

warton
    Free Member

I love the winter, bring it on I say, the colder the better.

As for SAD lightboxes, get a grip, we live in Northern Europe, its cold, wet and dark. don’t like it? Move, or grow a pair.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is what I will be ordering in if we get another bad one:

Note that the last four have been progressively worse.. so finges crossed we get more this year 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

20 tonnes of logs
    4×4
    spare 4×4
    4×4 quad
    a full freezer
    4 cases of wine
    a fur hat

I’ve got the obvious essentials covered.

grum
    Free Member

As for SAD lightboxes, get a grip, we live in Northern Europe, its cold, wet and dark. don’t like it? Move, or grow a pair.

If only I could be as macho as you :swoon:

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon grum… that’s pretty good advice.. how could you be upset if you had a pert pair of double D’s to keep you company?

hora
    Free Member

SAD light boxes are a coping mechanism for depression though. I wouldn’t knock anyone who uses one if it helps them cope. Even if its bumpkin to others.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

how could you be upset if you had a pert pair of double D’s to keep you company?

Tried that. My double d’s are kinda saggy and hairy. They depress me more than anything else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Winter is comming – serious copeing recommendations’ is closed to new replies.