Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Winter gloves liner woe
  • mrmo
    Free Member

and no one makes waterproof jackets without floating liners as they’d all leak too?

a little confused, many waterproof jackets aren’t meant to insulate, many do have floating mesh liners, others have zip in fleece layers. A jacket is a big thing whilst gloves are very small and fiddly. Down jackets have the baffles in place to overcome thermal cold spots.

Trying to compare the two is pointless.

This is a thread that comes up every year and i still can’t seem to understand why people get so het up about it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can you still buy Dachstein mitts?

squiff
    Free Member

Aldi £5 winter gloves and Sport direct £4 Karrimore running gloves work a treat together. nice warm hands

iainc

Simon R – I have the Gore Alp x ones you linked – they are fine in the wet as they stay warm, and as per my earlier post the liners are stitched in. This is my second winter with them. I only wear them if below about 3 deg, otherwise too warm. Gore glove sizing is pretty consistent – I have a few different pairs and take a 10/xxl as they come up small – I am a L or XL in most other brands

BadlyWiredDog

Mountain Hardwear uses a technology called OutDry that bonds the waterproof liner to the outer shell of the glove rather than using a detached liner which floats inside the the glove.

1. It means the fingers don’t invert in the same way.

2. It means water doesn’t pool between the liner and the shell which means your hands get cold(er)

They don’t, unfortunately, make a bike-specific glove, but I’ve been using a pair of thinly lined ones with some PowerStretch liners and so far they’ve been reliably water proof and everything stays where it’s supposed to.

nealy
    Free Member

The best gloves I’ve ever had were my motorbike gloves (Hein Gericke Touring Classic sheltex). Faultless, warm, comfy and dry in all weathers and the lining never pulled out the fingers plus I used them for snowboarding and my hand were still warm even when the fingers of the gloves were encased in ice…shame I haven’t got them anymore 😐

I’ve just ordered so £15 Tenn Outdoors gloves, they’ll probably be rubbish but at least I won’t have paid double of more for them.

cinnamon_girl

It really is worth taking an extra pair of gloves if you don’t fancy putting damp gloves back on. Even my beloved Gore gloves can be tricky, the thicker they are the harder it is!

BadlyWiredDog – that’s interesting, are they as well insulted as Gore?

sillyoldman

BWD – Pearl Izumi make 2 glove models that use Outdry – pricing is higher than their standard waterproof gloves which are made in a similar way as everyone else’s waterproof gloves – a large floating glove shaped membrane.

Of the 2 Outdry models, 1 is available in the UK – the Pro Barrier WxB. I know that Rock and Road in Bridge of Allan have them.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thought about this today.
    Riding a fast 100km so cold yet sweaty. I could easily remove my gloves with my teeth, eat the gel and slip them on again in the group without stopping.
    And totally warm
    Altura thinsulates.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Decided to bin the Sealskinz as not worth the bother. Found an old pair of thinsulated leather gloves that had found their way to the bottom of the dressing-up box because the dog had chewed a hole in the thumb. which means I can answer my iPhone if it rings without taking them off.

Much better. Warmer, more supple, less stiff, so less of a tendency to sore hands. And linings are properly stitched in, so no struggles taking them off.

Dunno how waterproof they are but, for the cold, dry weather that I mostly go cycling in, it only matters that they’re warm, not waterproof.

langylad
    Free Member

I have a couple of pairs of Madison weatherproof gloves which have been excellent for on and off road riding. Very comfortable and the liners seem attached to the outers and have never come apart, and i sweat like a paedophile in Toys R Us.
    I only use my Sealskinz for offering duel challenges these days.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves liner woe’ is closed to new replies.