• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by trb.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter commute times..
  • Clong
    Free Member

Anyone else suffered from decreases in average speeds during the winter? My average speed drops by a 2-3mph over the same route during the winter when compared with same route during the summer. The route is on roads, although one is in bad condition and floods at the thought of rain. Is there a consensus as to why? My guess is increased filth affecting drive chain, colder temperatures making the bearing grease a bit harder, more gear (lights etc).

GrahamS

Err.. yeah just a bit.

My commute is 11 miles (95% on traffic-free shared-use path).

A good time (for me) in summer is 45 minutes (~14.6mph)

Last night it took me 75 minutes! (~8.8mph) – main issue was the sheet ice. Snow had thawed during the day and then refrozen making some parts hilariously slippy, especially with commuting slicks on. 😕

No falls, but it took me over an hour to unclench my bum when I got home.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I find mine drops every winter. I have put it down to the folder weather meaning that the muscles having to work harder as I’m slower even on the nice days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m a smidge slower on a normal day over the winter, but then I’m slower in the mornings in the Summer too.

I doubt it’s anything to do with the bike though. Well appart form the summer bike/winter bike difference being about 3mph. I suspect it’s a combination of struugling to warm up, being a bit miserable, being more cautious due to road conditions and heavier trafic (especialy past the local primary school) due to less people walking/cycling places.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, summer commutes are usually 19mph or so, winter more like 17. Not including ice etc, that assuming normal winter conditions.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Aye mainly ’cause braking distance increases so much so I’m a lot slower

jonba
    Free Member

This thread comes up every year. Common suggestions are:

– more clothes makes it marginally harder to pedal and increases wind resistance.

– poorer conditions on the ground make you more cautious

– lack of light also makes you cautious

– generally worse weather and increased wind.

I’m normally slower – mainly as I’m more cautious because of the less predictabe conditions and because I’m not as fit over winter so my speeds drop.

njee20
    Free Member

Your body doesn’t deal with cold air as well either does it? And cooler air is more dense innit? No idea how much real world difference that actually makes.

I’m heavier in winter too.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I’d concur with the 2-3mph drop in average speed suggested by the OP, probably due to the reasons given. I did however record my fastest time home one night about 3 weeks ago when all factors (wind/temperature/level of tiredness/traffic) seemed to conspire in my favour.

nedrapier

but denser air has more oxygen?

njee20
    Free Member

Olympic velodrome is 28 degrees coz it’s fastest isn’t it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Slower in winter as the winter marathons are on – i ride safe routes through parks. Rather than risk the rat runs with the drivers. These are not gritted – ever

Helps me out run the scallys too – thy cant stand up yet im riding a bike through it 🙂

teacake
    Free Member

I agree about dodgy road conditions, more darkness but also the effect it has on your physiology.

It’s -15C here currently (Stockholm) and it’s immediately noticeable how your performance drops. I actually struggle to raise my heartrate above “cruising” speed when it’s this cold, like my brain is telling me just to plod. When I do manage a mini sprint, my lungs burn and it’s tougher work than normal!

I do a fair bit of xc skiing and when temps are below -10C you see a lot of serious folks using heat exchanger things they breathe through. Apparently the cold air can be pretty bad for your lungs. Managed a 10km loop in -27C last year and thought I’d never be able to use my hands again.

And my dad (in Scotland) still says, “Aye, but it’s a dry cold you get, not like here.” !!

Stay safe!

nedrapier

I reckon a good slice of it is mental: how much the combination jonba mentions affects how much you fancy pushing it. You’re wrapped up warm, bit of a stomp on the pedals to get warm to start with, then you just want to make progress, in the most comfortable way possible, eg hunching your shoulders a bit to keep your chin in your warm fleecy collar and tstop he draught from getting in down your neck.

Getting good and sweaty in a t-shirt up a climb is a more appealing prospect than getting good and sweaty into a few layers of warm clothing. I think we might have an inbuilt caution of getting warm clothes too wet in cold weather.

nedrapier

my brain is telling me just to plod.

sounds familiar!

GrahamS

when temps are below -10C you see a lot of serious folks using heat exchanger things they breathe through.

That’s a bit high tech – I just pull my Buff up over my mouth and nose and breathe through it.

teacake
    Free Member

My buff was a frozen sheet this morning, my eyelashes were frozen and my front was covered in my frozen breathe.

It’s cold I tells ya!

teacake
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but denser air has more oxygen?

But when it’s cold it won’t absorb into the lungs (bit like trying to disolve something into cold or hot water)

brakes
    Free Member

nedrapier +1
    slower because my hands are frigging cold and I’m worried about slipping on icy manhole covers so speeds go down and stopping distances increase.

I think these:

increased filth affecting drive chain, colder temperatures making the bearing grease a bit harder, more gear

make naff all difference.

GrahamS

Yeah cos cyclists don’t look weird enough without adding a gas mask:

My buff was a frozen sheet this morning,

Aye that can be an issue. I wear it snowboarding in the same way and it can freeze up – but it still reduces wind chill on the face and warms up the air a bit.

I’m currently double-buffed. Nice new Merino buff on my head doubled over as a hat/bandana and my Singletrack buff covering mouth and nose.

It’s a look I’m calling NinjaPirate.

Clong
    Free Member

It would seem that the effort to maintain the speed is more, going by my heart rate. For the same heart rate, my speed is 2-3 mph lower.

make naff all difference.

Individually, id say yes but collectively i reckon it all adds up. When i went for ride with my daughter, i noticed that she wasn’t gliding as well on her balance bike. Temperature was about 0ºC and when i checked the bike over the wheels weren’t spinning as smoothly as the grease was rock hard inside. Scaled up to my bike, the effect might be reduced but its there i think.

brakes
    Free Member

time to sprout the winter beard methinks

njee20
    Free Member

My power output and HR can be the same and I still go slower, it’s not just about being more cautious.

will
    Free Member

Being cautious, heavier/slow winter bike, more clothes, body using energy to keep warm, can feel your fingers to change gear to go faster. All apply to me.

trb
    Free Member

yeah, I’m 2-3 mph slower in winter, and it’s all of the above
    * Big flappy waterproof
    * More cautious on slippery surfaces
    * Lower visibility
    * Muscles complaining in the cold
    * Just less comfortable and less enjoyable than in nice weather!

It’s definitely not my drivetrain as that’s in the same sh1t state all year!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter commute times..’ is closed to new replies.