Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Winter boots – what's good?
  • Alex

I'm going to retire my five year old Shimano ones. Bought a size too big and really seem chunky/heavy/too hot.

I like the look of the Spesh Defrosters. They look a little lighter, not quite so warm (I have multiple pairs of thermal socks) and spesh shoes have always been a good fit.

Anything else worth considering?

clubber
    Free Member

I have the defrosters and they're good from a waterproofness perspective but useless if you get cold feet. Luckily I don't.

They're not particularly light compared to my normal mtb shoes though I don't have a pair of Shimano winter boots to compare them with.

JaceFace
    Free Member

I've got a pair of Northwave Celsius and love 'em. So much so that I got the roadie versions (Farenheit) too.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Just took my Defrosters for their first wet ride on saturday. Nice to keep feet dry without all that toe flipping associated with keeping overshoes on your feet.
    Have used them on 2-3 rides and am finding them comfortable.
    I like mine.
    Q

mickasaki
    Free Member

I've got Defrosters too, nicely waterproof as long as you dont get water running down into them. Think they should have named them something different as they are deffinatly not warm enough when its frosty! I resorted to Endura overshoes with them last year, ultimate footwear combo!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Celcius +1

Alex

Thanks. Couple of choices then! I'll go see what the bike shop sells. Always a trade off between toasty feet, and feet on the cusp of catching fire!

radoggair
    Free Member

mw80, woolyish socks…….. totally toastie action

Blower
    Free Member

celcius +2

Christowkid
    Free Member

Alex: Best of luck in your local shops – I was quite surprised when I went around my local shops, i was really hard pressed to find any boots, in fact I had no choice. They'd get them in for me but….. I wanted to try/look/feel etc. they expected me to already know specifically what I wanted!
    In the end I handled a pair of Defrosters, and they got in 2 pairs either side of the size of another spesh boot I'd tried on. It worked, but I was a tad disappointed at the choice in shops as a whole.
    Q

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Defrosters give enough room for variable sock choice, so you can go from lightweight in warm but wet conditions to winter sock for extra warm in the frosty months

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Winter boots – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.