Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Winter boots vs Overshoes
  • nickc

I’m not really massively bothered about the waterproofness of boots, but I do get effing cold feet. Now, I’ve looked at winter boots at the usual on line sources and they’re eye wateringly expensive, and with no real guarantee that my feet will be any warmer. So I’m thinking maybe give these new MT500 overshoes a go (supposedly MTB specific), so won’t fall apart, but they’re Endura…so maybe they will just fall apart…But they’re still way cheaper than new boots.

Yes? No?

Anybody got any?

grim168
    Free Member

I’m approaching my first winter season of mtb and was planning to wear wlking boots on my flat pedals. Is this not the done thing.

nickc

I don’t think there is a ‘done thing’ really. Whatever works for you

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yep. Endura overshoes last about 1.5 winters, so would be a few years before they’re more expensive than boots.

flatfish
    Free Member

mt500’s will last a winter at best due to pushing because of the mud, that said i got a pair mid winter last year and i might just squeeze a full winter out of them this year but i would be happy with one winter tbh.
    prolly the best £25 i spent last winter!

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm. When I used spd’s, I wore the Gore winter boots coupled with SealSkinz merino socks and that worked well even with my cold extremeties. The sole of the Gore boots was not grippy though.

I now use flats and am stuck with 5:10’s all year but with Sealskinz merino socks in Winter.

It may possibly be worth trying a liner as well, you can get very thin almost silky type ones.

I believe Gore do some winter socks, Windstopper possibly?

amplebrew

I have permant cold feet and wear overshoes on top of my Shimano MW80’s when it gets really cold.

I’ve been wearing my MT500 overshoes over my usual mtb’ing shoes since the beginning of September 😕

mieszko
    Free Member

I had couple of those MT500 overshoes. Good thing is they keep Your feet warm, the newer version does not look like some funky wellies, my second pair had a problem with the velcro thingy, strong velcro, cr4p glue 😉

They were not as breathable as my current MW80’s, good thing was they covered shoes from mud etc, however they will probably last only one season, and at £25+ a pair might get expensive. Also they are not waterproof from the bottom so they will let water in if You stand on some soggy ground. However top is pretty waterproof and never had wet feet with them. Good thing is they are much taller than the neoprene cuff on my winter boots so cover more from water.

My MW80’s were only £80 (size 47 feet ;-)) and will be used for the second winter this year. Still look very good. Only had cold feet at -5 on a longer ride once. Dry quick, they never let water in through the main shoe or from the bottom, but the neoprene cuff is only water resistant and it will let water in after some time, when it’s really pouring down I’ve got overtrousers over them and it’s not really an issue.

If You’re planning on riding a lot during winter and won’t like the faff of taking the overshoes, than the shoes etc than winter boots will be a good choice as if they last 2 more winters they will be the same price as 3 sets of MT500’s while being much more convenient to use.

So if You want overshoes MT500’s are a very good buy, lasted twice as long as some adidas or northwave I had before. However if You can get proper winter boots at a good price than I would go that way. Buying the MW80’s was probably best £80 I spent on bike kit. My mate uses seal skins socks during winter but I would still prefer overshoes at that price.

giantjason
    Free Member

i wore overshoes for a couple of months at the start of the winter a couple of years ago and just didnt get on with them. my feet just never stayed warm and the overshoes would rip easily.

i then went and bought a pair of Northwave Celcius boots and it made the world of difference. much warmer and when paired with sealskinz thermal socks means i have dry and really warm feet and can ride in sub-zero temperatures without worrying.

if you dont want to spend ££££££’s keep an eye out on the classifieds.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Ride in the cold and wet when it’s muddy???

Are you lot insane???

(oh and +1 for the merino sealskinz)

kiwijohn

My MT90’s have just seen out their fourth winter and still have a couple in them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends on how serious your riding is – i ride the same if not more over winter and find winterboots to be invaluable

Tried overshoes the first year and they got shreaded quickly

Bought diadora chili extreme and they lasted 2 years ….current mw80s on 4th year and 2nd puffer !

Buy a couple sizes bigger though!

woffle
    Free Member

I had a pair of Sidi boots (Inferno?) – to be honest wore them a few times but found I much preferred my Dragons + overshoes if it was really mucky + cold. No matter how ‘waterproof’ they’re meant to be if you’re out for any length of time I still think you’re going to get wet feet – with the boots I just found that it was like riding around in two puddles eventually as they slowly filled with water / got sodden. At least with the Dragons they drain well.

Decent socks are a must though, regardless of whether you do with boots or shoes. As long as my feet are warm then I’m happy…

spooky_b329

I don’t know anyone that has used mtb overshoes and got on with them…as soon as you get off and start pushing in the mud they start coming off. One person uses roadie overshoes as they are a much tighter fit.

If budget is tight, then the thermal sealskins (very warm apparently) otherwise, winter boots. My Northwave Celsius were about £90 three years ago, best bit of mtb clothing I own. Have worn them in the summer when its really wet. My feet will get wet if its chucking down as it runs in the top, but they just act like a wetsuit so feet are warm and wet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I ride light heartedly in the winter and like my aging shimano boots.

nickc

If I’m honest there’s nothing wrong with my winter boots they’ve lasted fantastically well. But it doesn’t seem to matter what socks I use or how loose the boots are, after a couple of hours my feet are like two blocks of ice. I demand heat god dammit

Reluctant
    Free Member

Overshoes always seem like a faff to me. Fiddly to get on, fragile and ugly. I’ve prefered to use Shimano winter boots with Sealskins and have warm and dry feet 98% of the time. My most recent pair of W101s cost £36 off e-bay, so it needn’t be expensive either. Just keep your eyes open and something’ll turn up.

FuzzyWuzzy

Good wool socks (not thick ones) + normal shoes + overshoes works best for me. I have winter boots as well and use them for the occasional short but muddy ride but prefer my normal shoes on longer rides. I find my preferred combo warmer once your feet get wet (they will regardless – even waterproof boots have big holes in the top…).

I haven’t bothered wearing my Seal Skinz in a couple of years now – to me they’re just ill-fitting sock that delay your feet getting wet by about 15 minutes and feel shite once they are wet. With decent cycling wool socks + overshoes your feet generally stay warm when wet (unless you’re trudging through snow). One key thing is to make sure the shoes don’t fit too tight once you have your winter socks on (hard with Seal Skinz) otherwise you’re restricting your circulation which will lead to cold feet.

GEDA
    Free Member

I like overshoes as my feet don’t get cold and I don’t do much walking so they seem to last. I have never got round to buying boots and you seem to have to where seal skins and extra socks to make them warm and water proof from the comments above which kind of defeats the object. I really depends on how much walking you are doing.

stumpy01

Your feelings about overhshoes will depend a lot on where you ride.

My main riding area is Thetford where the ground it pretty soft & loamy. There are no rocky areas but it does get wet and because of the undulating surface, there are often many deep puddles.
    Because the ground is fairly soft and it is 100% rideable, overshoes easily last two winters there in my experience and completely changed my enjoyment of winter rides as my feet remain dry & warm. I suspect similar forest areas to be equally well suited to overshoes & probably trail centres too.

But, I pretty much knackered a pair on one very wet ride around the Peaks that involved a little bit of walking as the rocky ground ate through the soles.

One advantage of overshoes that often isn’t mentioned is the fact that they keep your shoes clean, so at the end of a ride you peel them off & your shoes don’t need all the mud washing off & cleaning.

Aidan
    Free Member

Some wildly different experiences there…

I tried winter boots back when they were new and was seriously unimpressed. I’ve been using Endura overshoes since and, like Flatfish, I get about 1.5 winters out of a pair.

They aren’t waterproof – they’re neoprene so they keep you warm even when your feet are wet. I find them much warmer than the winter boots I tried and plenty warm enough for all conditions I’ve ridden in the UK. I get on really well with Specialized shoes so it used to be the only way to have comfortable and warm feet. But I think Spesh do their own winter boots now.

If you don’t have to do much walking, they’re ace.

messiah
    Free Member

I struggled through many winters with all sorts of combinations of overshoes, fancy socks and breadbags. Buying proper winter boots 10 years back was for me a revelation. Warm feet in the winter and the bonus is my summer shoes now last many years as well. Size 44 for the summer and 45 for the winter to fit bigger socks.
    Changing to the winter boots this weekend actually.

nosedive
    Free Member

overshoes. horrible. I had about 3 pairs. They slipped off my feet everytime I had to get off the bike and scramble over rocks. The endura ones I had with zips just broke really quickly. And they slip round so the cleats dont engage properly. In the end I bought a pair of goretex shimano boots for £100, seemed expensive at the time but I am now on winter number 4 and they are starting to look like good value for money. Much better than the £60 I wasted on crappy overshoes

FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds like you bought overshoes massively over-sized… Mine don’t slip around at all although granted I don’t go scrabbling over rocks too often. If, where you ride, you do need to get off a lot and push/carry over winter then for sure winter boots are a better solution.

nosedive
    Free Member

yep, I’ve had them both too big and too small I think (hence broken zips).

Agreed – the divide is definitely whether you ever have to walk ever or not

robob
    Free Member

mxz302

i suffer from reynaulds and have tried all methods going to keep the blood in my my feet.

i finally succumbed last year to the wildly expensive Lake mxz302.

i suffer no more. they are immense, it is a really strange sensation to get back from a winter ride and be able to still feel my feet and not be in agony for half as the blood returns.

i look like a special needs storm trooper but i am happy!

firestarter
    Free Member

used overshoes for 2 winters and got wet and cold and they also knackered bought some mw80 last year and they are great warm dry and warm again 😉 i even wear them on the road bike in winter

rootes1

remember you need to keep you legs warm as well – if you legs are cold they will cool the blood down before its gets to youy feet..

often you see people in the winter with shorts on, but with thick short socks and winter boots and they complain of cold feet…

last winter I just used my normal shoes + m500 overshoes + long bib micro fleece tights..

and for when it was really cold – added under the tights some winter spec over knee brigdale walking wool socks..

feet super toasty.

winston
    Free Member

I view winter boots in the same way as winter tyres for my car or a winter training bike for the road – whilst there is an initial expense, you are using something much better suited for the job and not wearing out your other kit so everything lasts much longer. Overshoes might be initially cheaper but lets face it they don’t last and you are still wearing out your summer shoes so I’m not convinced they are cheaper in the long run, plus they don’t work as well.

Wish my mw80’s had studs on though……..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i just seem to shred overshoes off road, fine if you are a racing snake and never unclip/dab on rocks/walk around the cafe

ross980
    Free Member

I had a pair of Endura neoprene type mtb overshoes and couldn’t recommend them. They were a PITA to put on, the toes alway popped up to give that ‘pixie’ look and they started falling apart after a couple of rides.

I’m hoping my wider fitting goretex spd shoes and decent socks do the trick this winter…

Jamie
    Free Member

What would people recommend as a non-spd alternative to the winter boots mentioned above?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had the Endura MT500 overshoes. IME, with a normal shoe underneath and a winter sock, they’re a little warmer and a little drier that spesh defrosters.

However, they were massive, rubbed my crank arms and collected alot more mud. They were also a horrible muddy faff at the end of a ride, and the zips were a real pain unless they were spotlessly clean of mud.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Winter boots vs Overshoes’ is closed to new replies.