Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter bike jersey and gloves
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Well this is my first post so Hi!

I’m after a new bike jersey to wear over my base layer for general winter use that I can chuck a shell over if it gets really cold. Can anyone recommend me a decent one for less than £50?

Also after some gloves for under £30 as my Full Montys are getting a bit chilly now. I don’t want the ski glove type though, but something more fitted. Again, any recommendations?

Cheers Nick

doof_doof
    Free Member

Softshell jacket + base layer is all you’ll need in anything other than torrential rain (IMO). Anything from the Gore range.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Its a hard shell jacket I have (Endura Laser II) not soft one, so want a jersey and Gore is out my budget thanks anyway.

soma_rich
    Free Member

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-BER-MER.htm
    This is a great jersey. Bit more than you want to spend but you use it for 8 or 9 months of the year. Merino is great if you sweat alot as it still keeps you warm when wet.

Gloves is a tough one. I have some Enduro ones but I have never been happy with any of the gloves I have owned my hands always get cold.

cp

really nice – I’ve just had a red one. nicely fitted.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-windslam-roubaix-jersey/

stumpy01

Have a look on the Wiggle website.

DHB stuff is pretty good and they’ve got several jerseys for under £50.

DHB Long sleeve core jersey – £26.39
    DHB Core S jersey – £32.99
    Northwave Force jersey – £35.99
    Altura Night Vision jersey – £44.99

I was going to suggest the Endura MT500 long sleeve, but it’s £60 so a bit over your budget.
    It’s also possibly a bit too toasty to be wearing with something over the top.

Have you looked on the On One website as well? They often have good deals on jerseys.

EDIT – gloves. I use Sealskinz gloves in really cold weather, but they get quite sweaty & you lose quite a lot of feel, as they are so thick.
    I think Endura do some nice winter gloves – Endura Strike or Dexter look pretty good. A friend of mine has the Strike I think & rates them highly.
    I have got some old Gill gloves that are a bit thicker than normal gloves & keep the chill out down to a few deg. C.

Trekster

gloves = Aldi for £5. Jacket/tops = Endura or Altura or cheaper from Mountain Warehouse, Sports Direct or Decathlon.
    Nike outlet shop near me does good tops for £20, running ones so nice and long + lots of other good stuff suitable for biking

cp

oh, and gloves…

Endura Dexter – very cosy. Can use with a liner for more warmth on the really nippy days.

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=106&prod_id=243

stayhigh

I’m really pleased with my On One merino longsleeve jersey. I git it a few weeks ago when they were doing a mad merino monday promotion so it was only £20.

Very comfy to wear and not itchy either which is good. It wicks well and still keeps me warm without cooking.

BUY ONE Simples 🙂

iainc

Endura and Altura as said above. Not as good quality as Gore, but in my case stuff tends to get ripped/damaged before it wears out.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Blimey, that was a quick batch of replies, thanks 😀

The DHB ones look ok. I liked the MT500 if I could find a deal. Anyone got an Altura Etape jersey or Endura Winchill?

Liked the look of the Dexter glove but heard mixed reports. Got Aldi £5 specials for when arctic cold, but they lack feel hence wanting something in between full montys and these.

cp

what are the mixed reports of the dexters? Love mine – great gloves.

binners

I’m with stayhigh on this one. On One Merino jerseys are an absolute steal at that price. Bought a couple myself and very chuffed with them. Toasty for the winter

nickswolves
    Free Member

Just in terms of quality cp. I hasten to add I’ve not seen them so can’t comment but I like most Endura stuff.

I’ve got an on-one merino long sleeve base layer and they are good!

doug_basqueMTB.com

have you ever tried the icebreaker stuff? I’ve got a few tops and they’re fantastic. I’m looking forward to winter so I can dig them out again and put on my Gore jacket on top. I’m not sure of the model but it’s the softshell warm one. Those 2 keep you warm no matter what. If I really need to I’ll throw a waterproof shell over the top. I was riding in -17degC this year and in pouring sleet and that kept me warm.

For gloves I’ve got the warm sealskin ones. They keep me pretty warm but the hands are definitely the first thing to get cold.

Edit: Just to say that I never bought any of the tops, they’re all chrismas presents so I’m not sure what price they are.

muddygoose
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of Sealskinz ‘All weather’ tonight. I looked at the Endura Strike and may well have got them instead if they’d had my size in stock. I want them for tomorrow so needed to buy there and then. The SealSkinz seem pretty decent though, don’t know how rain proof they’ll be but they fit nicely and I’d expect them to keep the wind out well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ground effect jerseys are great. i have the fleecey hooded one with removable sleeves. i chopped the hood off though.

as for gloves. i have a thick pair (altura vision) which are good for the commute or mtbing when it is sub zero

some windproof decathlon gloves with moderate insulation which are good until they get wet when they are like wet sponges.

and then finally silk liners to go under summer gloves for warmer days.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Managed to find an Endura MT500 long sleeve jersey and Altura transformer in budget – any thoughts on these welcome?

Cheers, Nick

alfabus
    Free Member

Gore phantom is pretty much the only jersey I wear from Autumn to spring.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-phantom-so-jacket/

When it isn’t so cold, you just remove the arms, and when it is proper freezing, wear a merino base layer underneath.

Quite expensive, but absolutely worth it.

Dav

chakaping
    Free Member

I often wear one of my old M&S Merino jumpers for biking.

Warmer than most synthetic bike tops and not sweaty.

Just saying in case you also have a cupboard full of the things.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another vote for Gore gear, the Phantom is awesome coupel that with some Tool gloves and you’ll be rite

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just got a dhb baselayer and gorebikewear contest 2.0 active shell windstopper, its pretty water resistant too…abit over budget but wont need much more than these two all winter, this breathes extremely well and is lightweight

i do have a endura stealth for mega minus conditions and rain…

gloves wise – specialized defrost – windproof and lightweight, not properly waterproof but even when slightly wet they still stay warm…

ridge
    Free Member

Hi
    Think polaris do a nice windproof jacket shell.
    polaris hi-vis jacket

high visibility workwear

pedalhead
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Endura Strike gloves mentioned above and they are absolutely useless as a cold weather glove. They may be waterproof, but they are most definitely NOT windproof. My hands freeze in them at anything below 5 or 6 degrees. Imho the most important feature of winter kit is that it’s windproof.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter bike jersey and gloves’ is closed to new replies.