Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter bibs: Padded or unpadded?
  • allyharp

I need some more thermal layers for commuting and in particular the Strathpuffer in Jan. What do people prefer: padded bibs, or unpadded bibs to wear over the top?

nemesis
    Free Member

Unpadded bibs over normal shorts. More insulation for lower back and nethers

lunge

Padded, I don’t really like 2 layers down there, feels a tad uncomfortable

SaxonRider

I found a pair of padded bibs on ebay, and can’t believe how comfy they are. The pad is well-placed and doesn’t move around, ultimately getting squashed between your thigh and your unmentionables. And they’re super cheap.

If interested, I’ll try to find it in my ebay records, and post a link.

langylad
    Free Member

Agree with nemesis. I have a decent pair of each, but when it gets to minus figures I go with the unpadded over the top. Cold hands and feet are bad enough, but it pales into insignificance when your old man feels like an eskimos thumb 😀

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve got both types of bib tights.

I prefer the bibs with the liner as opposed to wearing a pair of shorts underneath.

There’s not a lot in it to be fair, but the bibs seem to fit better with the pad attached.

scotroutes

Padded. The more layers the greater the risk of chafing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Unpadded.

Generally get three rides out of the bibs before washing, on road obvs.

brooess
    Free Member

Looks like there’s no consensus so far!
    I have some unpadded tights which are super comfy and warm that I bought years ago and they’re still going strong, so I just wear summer bibs underneath.
    Good for the extra warmth esp around lower back and not had any chafing issues.

Unpadded tend to be cheaper if that makes a difference

CraigW
    Free Member

For everyday rides, commuting etc – unpadded. As easier to just wear a clean pair of shorts underneath, instead of washing the tights everyday.

For longer rides, maybe worth getting more expensive, padded tights. Just for a bit more comfort, and avoiding chafing.

njee20
    Free Member

Unpadded. Never had any issues with chafing myself, and in winter I’ll wear tights everyday, so nice to be able to use all my shorts in rotation (particularly as I have about 10 pairs no longer any good for being seen in) rather than having to wash my tights every day.

stevious

Unpadded for me too, for the same laundry-based reasons as given above.

Only thing to watch out for is to make sure they’re pulled up properly around the crotch otherwise they can be prone to catching on the saddle.

lee170
    Free Member

Unpadded tights for me which I wear over my bib shorts, really comfy and keeps the knads toasty to

kcal

winter longs – Endura old style – over padded liners (CoolMax). But nothing keeps you insulated down there IME.. 🙁

dudeofdoom

Padded long bibs Here….. 2 pairs for the week…

I’d killed most of my normal padded shorts so padded longs worked out cheaper for me.
    (nice fluffy ones with a pad that doesn’t feel like pampers – heaven)

avdave2

Unpadded tights for me which I wear over my bib shorts, really comfy and keeps the knads toasty to

Same here for longer rides. I thought it would be uncomfortable but I’ve had no problems.

FuzzyWuzzy

I switched from padded bib tights to just using leg warmers with my regular bib shorts a couple of years ago – works better for me. I think it would only be a problem if wet + very cold in which the added insulation of some winter tights would be a bonus (although this is less of an issue on an MTB if wearing baggies over the top).

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have padded tights for when it’s cold and unpadded tights over 3/4 bibs for when it gets really cold. If it’s just chilly then a pair of Pearl Izumi padded thermal bib shorts and a pair of knee warmers works well.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve always gone for unpadded as even off road in winter you can get a few rides out of a pair unless they get absolutely soaked the mud will brush off. Commuting I’d wear the same pair for a week or more depending on the weather.

I’ve got a padded pair I bought for long days but I’m not sure they’re actually more comfortable – longs have more of a tendency to pull down a bit, especially if you’re tall, which leads to more chafing not less. Also, agree with others that on road (ie without baggies on top) the extra layer of undershorts is great when it’s properly cold.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winter bibs: Padded or unpadded?’ is closed to new replies.