Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Winter aggro hardtail recommendations please
  • ti456neal
    Free Member

Evening all.
    I’m looking for a cheapish aggro hardtail to charge around on during the gloomy months. Ideally something similar geometry to my 160mm covert and 26″ wheels as I have a garage full of rowdy rubber to use.
    Going to run 1 x 10 and a dropper so something that will take that.

Any recommendations from the stw masses?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe.

Andy-R

Genesis Alpitude – the last version, the 853 DZB one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My bikes are a Covert and BFe 🙂

Both run adjustable forks to 150 and ride quite similarly (haven’t had the budget to put bigger forks on the Covert and as no Alps holiday this year I didn’t feel the need)

tor5
    Free Member

In the tradition of recommending what you own, how about a Stanton slackline?

karlsbug
    Free Member

+1 slackline

Bucko

ti456?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Dartmoor Hornet. Excellent ride at an amazing price. Designed to be 26 and 27.5 compatible, so the bb isn’t the highest. Only noticed while pedalling mid-corner though on road links.

iainc

A nice Soul on classifieds, not mine

lovetoride
    Free Member

Surge evo nice and cheap on CRC?

Candodavid
    Free Member

PP Shan?

Andy-R

ti456neal – Member
    Evening all.
    I’m looking for a cheapish aggro hardtail

Candodavid – Member
    PP Shan?

PP Shan – cheapish ??

MadBillMcMad

OnOne Fatty !!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Nukeproof Scout if you can find it in stock somewhere.

Or a Slackline 631. Depends on your budget really. For mega cheap look at an old Summer Season (around £75-120 2nd hand). May struggle finding forks unless you’re ok with second hand.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the Slackline…love mine. Works a treat with 150mm forks on the front. Since I’ve made it more trail friendly, I seem to ride it all of the time.

I have such a laugh riding it that I haven’t ridden my Banshee Rune since August.

You’ll need to 631 version to get one that it dropper post compatible.

Northwind

Mmmbop if you like stiff bikes- cheap and great fun, too stiff for my taste but some folks like that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

456 Summer Season. Dirt cheap and my old one was a hell of a fun bike.

Burchy1
    Free Member

In our group there is:

2 SC Chameleon’s, 2 Soul’s and 2 DB Alpine’s.

Obviously the orange DB Alpine is the best one as it is mine…

ti456neal
    Free Member

All great suggestions. Ideally I want a complete bike so I leave my carbon covert complete for using when I like. Don’t mind swapping wheels but anything more just becomes a headache.
    The bfe would be top of my list, but i was looking at the nukeproof or bird, both well over 4 figures tho. Not sure how the misses would swallow that this close to Xmas. The £500 fun bike seems rather unlikely it seems….

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just build up a 456 as cheap as you can, they’re great fun and pretty cheap. Think I payed £50 for my steel one and just bought a carbon one to replace it for £100

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bird Zero. The full build is great value for money on the components but it’s not cheap rubbish on there even with the basic spec.

You can go into somewhere like Evans and buy a cheap hard tail but the components are utter garbage and you’ll be replacing them within a month.

Frame build isn’t hard, though have to consider 26 or 650b if swapping stuff about. Though a “cheap” build can end up going a fair way over a grand anyway as I found when I built my c456. Started cheap with spare bits, probably knocking on £2k spent on it now 😀

Or… ride the Covert in the mud. Mountain bikes are actually designed to get dirty 😉 . Just having a pivot or two on it isn’t going to make it melt 😛

Though the real answer is buy a hard tail and ride both all year round.

jimmy

Aggro hardtail? I’ve been through a lot and would go for DB Alpine every time. For something more all day rideable but still good fun, a Soul. Bfe sits in between them both for me.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Been looking for something similar myself, but I will probably go for a new BFe.
    In the meantime i looked at the following
    Identity AKA, Cove Stiffee (could only find small sizes new)
    Dartmoor look very good vfm.

ti456neal
    Free Member

Oh trust me my covert sees more than its fair share of mud. The carbon one is on its second winter, and the aluminium one I had before had 3 hard winters before it retired. I don’t mind it getting dirty and I love riding it, just wanted a bit of winter fun to hone the skills before next years attack on enduro-land 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Winter aggro hardtail recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.