• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wingnut hyper 3.0, repair or replace?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Two zips need replacing and my old camelbak bladder has seen better days. So, I’m guessing the price of a new bladder and two new zips might get me close to the cost of a new pack.

I like the way the weight sat low in the wingnut but I’ve noticed they don’t seem to be the go to pack they once were.

What else is worth a look? Last camelbak I had felt a bit sausage like and unstable by comparison.

matt_outandabout

Post it to me…. For recycling…. 😉

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Yeah or even better…send it to me

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any thoughts from someone who isn’t trying to scrounge a wingnut with two broken zips?

BadlyWiredDog

I would find out how much the repairs would cost and make a judgement based on that if you still like the pack. If you google Lancashire Sports Repairs they list their individual repairs costs, which will give you a starting point.

I’d also check out the structural integrity of the waist-band area of the pack before investing any more money in it. My experience with a Hyper was that the pocket/waist-strap area was badly designed and basically fell apart – replaced under warranty, but wasn’t impressed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have a look at the waistband. Also noticed the sail cloth bladder compartment seems to be shedding is pu coating.

matt_outandabout

On a serious note – Scottish Mountain Gear also do repairs, and your average high street local alterations shop should be able to help as well.
    (or mrs_oab and her sewing machine)

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much does she charge?

singletracksurfer

The latest Wingnuts are now being made in the USA. Would assume/hope that means higher quality.

matt_outandabout

How much does she charge?

That is between her and I. 😉

jamj1974

I have one and just had the zip replaced on the main compartment – with a plain zip though as I use a dry bag inside anyway. Whilst it was being repaired I bought a Camelbak Charge 10. It’s smaller and ok for the summer and it is genuinely comfortable but the reservoir cap digs in massively… I’ve replaced the lumber reservoir with a standard 2l one and that is better but getting the dregs out whilst riding is a bit harder…!

jamj1974

singletracksurfer – Member
    The latest Wingnuts are now being made in the USA. Would assume/hope that means higher quality.

A bust zip after four years plus didn’t spell bad quality to me – but maybe I’ve been lucky…?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I knew this had been done recently. Looks like CG had good results from Scottish Mountain Gear.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, repairs to both items have been successful. 🙂

Del

i accepted i was never going to use mine or get it repaired and it went in the bin a couple of weeks ago. flaky zips, waist belt pulling out. considering this is supposed to take the weight of the pack, just a couple of lines of stitching probably isn’t sufficiently secure.
    using an osprey waist pack now. about 1/3 of the price and far, far better built.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wingnut hyper 3.0, repair or replace?’ is closed to new replies.