Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What's like a wingnut, only 'better'..
  • DrP

I really liked the wingnut 2.5 pack for the ‘low weight’ and how it sits on the hips, away from the back.
    However, it was very basic, and was really thin and fairly poorly made. The fabric wore through in places,and has now gone to rest since shoulder checking a tree seemed to be the end of it..

I was wondering if there are any other lumbar bags that are similar. I know camel back do one, but that still looks like it sits quite high on the back.
    I love osprey build quality, but alas, no lumbar range..

Suggestions??

DrP

mactheknife

I have a second hand Wingnut 2.5 that i bought off here a year or so back, it had seen some serious action but as we speak it is still going strong. I only use it for short local rides mind you. Out of the whole Wingnut range i think these might have been made with a softer material than the rest hence why its prone to more damage than the rest.

I use the Enduro 😉 pack for all my big days out. Its is absolutely bombproof, the material is extremely hard wearing i can fit so much kit in there its unreal.

If i had to buy another pack it would be the Hyper 3, it has decent space, takes a 3l camelbak at a push and is made of the same bombproof material as the enduro. I really wish i hadn’t sold mine ;-(

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hyper 3 is great, had one of the first ones into the UK. No problems with the materials, stick it in the washing machine and it still comes out like new. The main zip is getting to be a bit of a problem now though which is a shame.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Zip failed on mine after a couple of years of hard use. I’d buy another if they improved the zip.

mactheknife

Schweiz, if i only had a zip fail after a few years hard use i would be happy 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a camelback one (Volt LR), never had a wingnut so can’t compare, but I’ve no complaints about it, and I hated normal backpacks with a passion.

My only other bag is berghouse (sp?) 20l backpack with the mesh/frame back vent thingymabob. Not low riding but being bigger it doesn’t get overfilled and top heavy like a bag half it’s size trying to carry the same ammout of stuff.

d45yth
    Free Member

I think the problem is that Wingnut have used a few different manufacturers over the years. I have a 2.5 and an Enduro that were made by New Sun…both old and are lasting well. I have a much newer 3l that’s starting to delaminate already, that has no manufacturer’s tag in it.
    As for the above comment about them being thin…they’re made from sailcloth, it’s one of the best things about them!

Edit – New Sun is an American company. I would say Wingnut have started getting the bags made in the Far East instead.

Rik
    Free Member

My wingnut is dying also.

I’ve looked and looked for another alternative but the best think about the wingnut that I can’t see elsewhere on other bags is the HUGE waist/wing pockets that puts everything excessable without taking the bag off.

AlexSimon

I’m quite surprised they don’t have competition really.
    I’ve always liked the idea (especially for bivvying), but never tried one. Always seemed expensive if I didn’t get on with it.

Del

I have a 2.5 which is pretty knackered after not that long. longevity, for the price, is pretty poor IMO. considering camelbacks come with bladders fr 3/4 of the price, actually make that ‘very poor’.
    i now use a bum bag made by osprey. it’s ace. jiggles about a bit when it’s really loaded but no more so than a rucksac/camelback, and when you remember not to bounce about like a loon on the pedals it quickly settles down, again, just like regular pack. tons of room but i did have to buy a smaller pump to suit. wouldn’t go back now. 😉
    this
    takes tools, jacket, 2 tube, pump, etc. etc. and there’s still room for a 1L bladder in there if i thought i needed it.

BadlyWiredDog

Haglöfs used to do a lightweight pack, which had a similar low-slung thing going on – I’ve used a Wingnut 2.5 and killed it – but it’s not longer available. They do however have a bike pack called the Ardent:

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/backpacksbags/intense/unisex/ardent_20_en-us.aspx

Which has some of that stuff – no idea how tough it is or if it’s available in the UK, but generally their kit is well made, if a little expensive.

composite
    Free Member

I have a Montane Batpack which I have used for bikepacking duties. It’s alright, although I don’t like carrying 2 full bottles in it. It’s good for all the reasons you state about the wingnut though.

johnnystorm

Backpacks on a bike-ugh never again.

I’ve got a Batpack as well.*

*I had mine first 😛

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Two* Wingnuts here; a Hyper 3 and an older Adventure (I think) of 2008 vintage. One of them has been used on practically every ride since I bought them, which has included some Alpine guiding, riding in various European mountain ranges, commuting year round and regular riding at home.

The base section of the Adventure (which is similar to a Hyper 2.5) is starting to show signs of wear and the reservoir zip is looking like it is looking forward to retirement, but when it goes I’ll probably get it replaced – it’s a bloody brilliant, incredibly versatile bit of kit.

I know the owner has played around with different ventures (IIRC he has spent a few years developing solar technology for the US military) which has meant supply has been incredibly stop/start, and my guess this has been reflected in the manufacturing. When Toby ran Propel and imported them he had several problems.

But TBH if I was going to replace one of my Wingnuts, it’d be with another Wingnut.

*The Adventure is a three-part pack built round a stripped-down Hyper 2, but with a 20L main add-on and a further 5L smaller pack that can be configured in a number of different ways. Complicated but amazing bit of kit.

Mbnut
    Free Member

So it appears that there is nothing that compares to the Wingnut.

I am on my 3rd Hyper3 and this one is on the way out in the same way as the others, the zip has given up…. it is from mud ingress, i ride all winter in filthy conditions.

I am going to try a local alterations place to see if a new zip can be stitched in somehow… the rest of the bag is still perfectly fine.

brakes
    Free Member

google bumbag

dawson

I’ve just got a Camelback Flashflo – only used it once – only got it at the weekend, but seems pretty comfy – it sits round my waist/lower back

its not ‘backpack’ big but does have space for a small bladder

camelbak flashflo

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

google bumbag

I searched for that, but no results. Does it actually exist, or are you pulling our collective plonker?

Northwind

Camelbak do a load of lumbar bags, all with LR in the name- Ultra LR might do you? Haven’t used one, not my sort of thing but it seems to tick the same boxes as the Wingnut.

13thfloormonk

Ah… the Adventure MPS, had one of those, sold it second hand on here. I think mine was made by New Sun, at least, it had a ‘sun’ logo on the tabs so that makes sense.

It was massively versatile and seemed quite tough, I damaged the elastic netting in a couple of places when I crashed, but other than that it was all good. My only adaptation was to fit a massive ‘seatbelt’ strap around the middle, so I could strap it down on descents, the design seemed quite mobile when you were descending.

Wished I’d learned to pack properly though, I was getting there slowly, but my second to last trip I still carried a bloody coil cable lock with me (in the middle of the highlands) and on my last big trip I still tried to carry a litre of milk in a Nalgene bottle, plus a couple of other luxury items… 🙄

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My only adaptation was to fit a massive ‘seatbelt’ strap around the middle, so I could strap it down on descents, the design seemed quite mobile when you were descending.

That’s a great idea. Not a massive problem I’ve had, but I could see something like that helping when fully loaded.

I’ve added a few hooks onto the waist strap so I could mount multi-tools and the like without them slipping round.

Del

oh yeah – the waist strap on my wingnut was making break for freedom too. it’s only sewn in one line, along the seam of the pocket, not great when it’s taking most of the weight.

cinnamon_girl

Really happy with my 3 Wingnuts, two large and one next size down. I’ve had a zip break and got that repaired. Considering that my rides include very overgrown trails, they’ve stood the test and just work. Much much better than a Camelbak for comfort.

My only gripe would be that it’s not easy finding bladders to fit.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Where did you get the zip repaired c_g?

cinnamon_girl

offthebrakes – here:

http://www.scottishmountaingear.com/

They also replaced a pocket zip on my Windstopper jacket. My only niggle was that the pull thingy they used was red and not white.

Happy with the service and workmanship, their website is pretty comprehensive and e-mails answered swiftly.

Hope that helps. 🙂

chipster

I had the same problems with my Wingnut as Del. ^
    The waist belt detached from the pockets, I got a cobbler to fix that, and the zip, which has been bust at one side for a while, gave up the ghost last week. As Del says, the best thing about it was the hip pocket, the rest of it wasn’t up to the job.
    Got an Osprey Raptor today, it’s got the hip pockets plus a gazillion more for stuff to hide in. 😕

nuke

I use a camelbak flashflo…its alright for shorter rides but I don’t carry water in it, just tools & spares and use a bottle for water. You need to do it up pretty tight to spot it slipping down; the solution would be some Gordon Gekko-style braces attached to it 😯

wingnuts

DrP – “I really liked the wingnut for the low weight and how it sits on the hips! Mrs W says much the same!!!!!! (In my dreams)

Del – “I have a 2.5 which is pretty knackered after not that long.” Another Mrs W quote!

cinnamon_girl – “My only niggle was that the pull thingy they used was red and not white.” Mrs W is out now want to pop round and check the colour?”

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Thanks c_g 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What's like a wingnut, only 'better'..’ is closed to new replies.