Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Windstopper
  • rascal
    Free Member

Just bought a used but mint Gore Phantom.
    It was washed prior to me buying it but I want to reproof it by spraying it with Nikwax Softshell Proofer.
    Do I HAVE TO wash it first then spray it wet, or can I just spray it dry as it is?

I would like the answer to be the latter 😀

druidh
    Free Member

If you don’t know what it was washed in/with then it would be best to wash it again with a technical cleaner (e.g. Grangers/Nikwax) as any detergent residue will affect the water repellency.

aP
    Free Member

What do the instructions say?

rascal
    Free Member

It says the former, but I was wondering if anyone had done it the other way and it worked…I know I’ll have to wash it again though which is a bit of an a*se. Cheers

spacemonkey

Wash with soap flakes – that should do the trick should it not?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

wash it with a tech-wash first – otherwise you’ll be keeping all the crap (sweat, oil, pollutants etc) in the fabric.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you spray reproofer on when it’s dry most of it runs straight off so best to do it when it’s still damp (unless you want to proof your carpet).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is there a cheaper alternative to techwash? its good but its expensive, and in this weather, im washing shite loads of stuff every week, even a litre bottle is hardly going anywhere over 3-4 weeks 🙁

i know about soapflakes but you cant use them in a washing machine?

traildog
    Free Member

I didn’t know the Phantom needed proofing? I just wash mine in normal wash and I cannot say I’ve ever noticed any degradation in performance.

Raymond

You can get liquid soap flakes from Tescos (if thats not an oxymoron?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Windstopper’ is closed to new replies.