Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Windproof jackets, fleece.
  • bigben69
    Free Member

Hi, I`m looking to get a windproof fleece, jacket.
    I`m new to riding off road and found that i get really hot very quickly, unlike riding on the road.
    Any info on products would be great…
    Thanks Ben.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been a few threads on this recently IIRC, try a search.

Gore Phantom is the mandatory recommendation…I don’t own one though!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If you’re size mediium and you’d like to keep your costs down, I have a windbloc one for sale that you could buy – check my classifieds ad. 😉

wwaswas

I use a Gore Tool when it’s really cold and an Edura Stealth when it’s not.

Very happy with both but the Tool is definetly the warmer of the two.

Macavity
    Free Member

Tweed. Warm, windproof, weatherproof and not made of plastic.

br
    Free Member

Do you want a windproof jacket, or a fleece one?

Gore Phantom (wind and showerproof) is good early spring through late autumn, but a bit warm in summer. The Endura Stealth (wind and waterproof) is very good for winter, but when warmer see above.

Add/take away base-layers as required, but the Stealth and a long-sleeve warm base is the most I wear for riding.

Also I carry a Paklite, just in case for when we stop and need that bit of extra.

mashiehood
    Free Member

hmm, just been looking at the Rapha Tweed Softshell!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I love my Ground effect frosty boy.
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-FRO-WIN.htm

Fleece with a wind-proof front, so all the sweat escapes through the back, but you don’t get a blast of cold on your front.

ton

north face apex here, is very nice indeed too.

z1ppy

Looking for a bargain? £40 Decathlons Forclaz 900 soft (not the warm) walkers jacket is very good. Happily been wearing mine for the last two weeks, fine in the cold with lots of layers, as the pit zips allow you to cool when overheating, without that icy blast you get on your chest when you open your main zip. It’s not without it’s short comings, but as I hadn’t £100 spare for a Gore or Endura softshell (and had a £10 voucher) it’s great.

An Elfinsafety recommendation..

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a Puma running top that works like Ian’s.

I get hot and find the thinnest softshells work best for riding.

bigben69
    Free Member

Blimey…. Thanks for all your info people..!!
    Dave rudabar cheers for the offer but i`m a XL…
    Ian munro A mate of mine has this, but the price puts me off..
    Again thanks all!!
    Ben.

stevede
    Free Member

I have a north face gore windstopper fleece (can’t remember model name but rrp around £120), not bike specific but really good when cold and dry, i combine mine with a decent base layer. Only downside, being non bike specific is the lack of a drop tail but the upside is it works as a casual jacket too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1 for the Stealth. I also run in mine.

Trekster
    Lummox

Endura windchill is a part soft-shell part roubix jacket, layered up it might be good for all but the coldest days, I feel the cold despite running hot so have just moved up to a stealth, one word of warning with endure, go up a size! I’m xl normal xxl in most bike kit

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+1 for the Ground Effects Frosty Boy

Markie
    Free Member

Gore Cosmo Plus if you feel the cold!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

+2 for the frosty boy – i’ve got 2. got my first 5 years ago and its still one of my most used items. slightly pricey, but worth it.

Algore
    Free Member

GORE BIKE WEAR Phantom, Countdown or Contest if you feel the start cold then get cold. Tool, Cosmo, Oxygen or Xenon (roadie fit) if you feel the cold. 09 Oxygen SO war thinner than winter’10 hence the price difference.

Pieface

I’d give a windstopper hardshell a punt – more versatile than the soft shells as you can use year round (obviously you’ll need some thin insulating layers)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

An Elfinsafety recommendation..

😀

I have both Decathlon jackets, and they are excellent, and fantastic value for money imo. They share a similar outer shell, similar design and pit-zips, just the lining is different. I use the lighter one for Spring/Autumn, and the heavier one for Winter. THe Winter one is keeping me warm even in these freezing conditions.

They wash well, and are actually very water-resistant, even though they’re not advertised as a ‘waterproof’ jacket.

Both look pretty good just as jackets; not too ‘bikey’. Which is perfect for me; I don’t ant to look like a cycling spod down the pub and that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve spent ages checking out windproof breatheable jackets online and in bike shops. I went for Gore Phantom 2 from wiggle with the 20% discount. you can zip off the arms when it gets too hot and stick ’em in the back pockets, or just undo the zips a bit to vent. You can wear it without anything underneath or add baselayers. Seems one of the more versatile out there, and fits me perfect.
    Gore phantom 2

best bet is to go try loads on. Deffo check out Decathlon if you’ve one nearby.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I hope you din’t get it in Lemon Yellow….

Kevevs
    Free Member

naah, boring grey.

Pieface

The phantom is a very good top, its main downfall though is that getting the sleeves back on is very difficult without taking the top off. Which generally means you’ll be very cold as when its that warm I don’t wear a base layer, and by the time the sleeves need to go back on you’ve probably already got a chill on.

bigben69
    Free Member

I think i`ll go with the frosty boy from ground effect…
    Cheers everyone!! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Windproof jackets, fleece.’ is closed to new replies.