Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Windows installation jiggery pokery
  • smogmonster

Collective STW nerd-hive advice required.

My Laptop, a Dell has gone utterly tits-up, beyond repair. Ive built a desktop system and put the hard drive from the laptop into the desktop system. This is where the problems start:

The hard drive wont boot and launch Windows as its not a Dell system.
    When I put the license key into Microsoft.com in order to download an ISO, Microsoft wont accept the key as its a Dell system key. I really don’t want to have to fork out for a new copy when I have a perfectly legit copy already.

So how do I go about installing a fresh copy of W7 that will allow me to use the key I have? Or is there a way to obtain a (legit) key without having to fork out again?

IA

when I have a perfectly legit copy already.

Ah, but do you? Sounds like you’ve a copy licensed for the dell laptop. Not a license to install it on any machine.

You can maybe install off a generic W7 disc (for the version you’re licensed for, pro/home/32/64bit etc) and then do the phone activation thing.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

W7 on the laptop will be an OEM version. That means it will only run on the laptop it was supplied on. Game over I’m afraid. Though I’m not an expert, so could be wrong.

Could try Linux if you want a free alternative.

smogmonster

Ok thanks guys, I guess i’ll have to buy a new license. Wheres the cheapest to get a W7 license? I would go straight to 8.1, but I bought an upgrade to W8 when it first came out so im keen to reuse that if I can get a cheap W7 license.

marmaduke
    Free Member

what’s the minimum version of win 7 your upgrade can go from?

Edit: Just checked and you need at least win7 home-basic to upgrade

scaredypants

windows 10 is free*

apart from them harvesting all your data, then later your soul and 1st-born child, apparently

enfht
    Free Member

nerd-hive advice required.

And you’re “asking” for help from a “nerd”.

RTFM, best of luck.

IA

windows 10 is free*

Well, the final version will be a free upgrade from win 7 or 8…

jimmy

Get a copy of win7 and a license key from the underside of a-nother-dell-laptop.

smogmonster

Aha, problem solved. I got in touch with Microsoft, they did something with the Key for my W8 upgrade to allow me to make an ISO and run a clean install from it. That’s the theory at least, we’ll see if it goes as smooth as im hoping.

enfht, don’t be so touchy, theres a strong element of tongue-in-cheek about the nerd-hive statement. Chill. There was no FM BTW……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Windows installation jiggery pokery’ is closed to new replies.