Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • windows – counterfeit software messages
  • petefromearth

bloody xp has recently started telling me that my copy of windows is not genuine, when (believe it or not!) it is

it has turned my background permanently black, and keeps popping up with messages from the system tray which has a little 5 pointed star icon. when i try and resolve it, it takes me to a microsoft website and demands £95 to authenticate

don't really want to go through the hassle of re-formating etc as otherwise my computer works fine. anyone know a way round it?

woody2000

Virus/spyware probably? Run a check recently?

petefromearth

just googling it – maybe we were sold a dodgy copy or something

richpips
    Free Member

It's a genuine message, I had it on an old laptop that I bought off ebay.

If you can live with the annoying black screen etc. it'll still work fine. My solution though was to reformat and install Ubuntu.

PePPeR

U could do a reboot install SP2 and keep automatic updates turned off, you'll only get the annoying message about not being fully protected then!

BoardinBob

loads of cracks on the internet that will sort it without an install

JxL
    Free Member

try performing a system restore to a date before this started happening, boot in safe mode, apply every crack imaginable. Works every time 🙂

petefromearth

sorted now

anyone else with this problem should follow the instructions here:
    http://safemode.gidblog.com/2007/04/29/windows-xp-you-may-be-a-victim-of-software-counterfeiting/

follow steps 1 to 3 😉
    i'm a computer numpty and it worked for me!

allthepies
    Free Member

cool

bensales
    Free Member

I found ringing Microsoft sorted the issue. I have lots of virtual machines that all run fully licenced copies of XP. Some started doing this as well as failing the genuine advantage stuff when moved. A quick call to MS got new keys. As longs as you can prove its legit they're remarkably helpful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘windows – counterfeit software messages’ is closed to new replies.