Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Windows 8 Pro – anyway of switching Metro off?
  • DickBarton

Installed it on my PC…figured it should be worth a bash but the Metro interface is useless on a desktop with no touchscreen input…so how do I get rid of it?

Happy with Windows 8, just don’t want the Metro piece. The Desktop (which is almost identical to Windows 7 but without the Start button is there but the regedit edit trick only seems to be working in the Preview version so I can’t tweak that setting to return it back to Windows 7-esque look and feel.

Anyone else installed the full version and managed to get it not to use Metro? If so, how?

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

I bought it today (the £25 upgrade). I got an app called Start8, which brings back a start button. This also allows the pc to boot up in desktop mode. There is a 30 day trial of Start8, and I think its very cheap to buy.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade if you don’t want the metro interface?

deft
    Free Member

There’s another programme called ‘Classic Shell’ that gives you a start menu like Windows 7. That said I really don’t mind metro, just press the windows key and start typing the name of what you’re looking for – takes less than a second to do most things.

DickBarton

Thanks deft, thank is useful…hadn’t worked that out myself. I’m figuring it is worth moving with the times so worth the upgrade (it was free for me anyway)…just the tile idea of Metro doesn’t work on a desktop and it isn’t that great…I can’t make Thunderbird my default email client as it wants me to be logged into the cloud…everything is going cloud and social…not what I need with on a desktop system that never leaves the desk…other than that. I need to get Media Centre installed and that will be me, seems to be a slighter quicker boot up.

Logging in also now has me logging into my cloud…not sure I need apps yet so may switch that to the local account…still very new to me but so far I don’t dislike it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Windows 8 Pro – anyway of switching Metro off?’ is closed to new replies.