Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Windows 7 + New laptop = wait till oct.?.
  • neilforrow

Following on from the new laptop thread… I am also going to get a new laptop soon.. Q is do I wait for W7 to come out as an installed OS or just get the free upgrade?

A lot of places are offering a free upgrade… however in my experience these never go according to plan and leave you with a machine that is a bit funky.

Drac

A lot of places are offering a free upgrade… however in my experience these never go according to plan and leave you with a machine that is a bit funky.

Only if you do something wrong.

If you can get one of the ones offering an upgrade then just go for it now.

fozzybear
    Free Member

windows 7 is a nicer than vista. faster and more stable.

my laptop would die under vista's numerous processes etc.. win7 is much nicer on the processor and requirements.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Currently MS are saying the 'upgrade' will in fact be a fresh install (but at reduced price) in Europe as they've been made to unbundle Internet Exploder. However they may later fix this.

zaskar
    Free Member

In the same boat. I'm waiting for Win7 but it will probably be on a backup disc rather than something I can use on other machines.

Wonder when USB 3 will on a laptop?

simon_g

Vista > Win7 upgrade is meant to work fine.

The "E" edition of 7 has been dropped (as IE wasn't provided, upgrades wouldn't have worked), so upgrades will be fine now. Anyone who pre-ordered the cheaper E edition will get the regular version.

If you need a laptop now, buy one – when 7 gets released a few quid P&P for the disc and about an hour of your time will have it running the new OS with a minimum of disruption.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

when 7 gets released a few quid P&P for the disc

HP are charging £27…

BluePalomino
    Free Member

not buying an Apple machine? sheeesh are you riding a Dawes aswell? 🙄

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 + New laptop = wait till oct.?.’ is closed to new replies.