Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Windows 7 backups
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Having just got hold of a network hard drive on which to do backups, I'm somewhat annoyed to find that lower versions of windows don't do the automatic backup onto a network drive. Whytf not I want to know? 🙁

Anyway, what do people like to do for automatic backups? Possibly incremental, if such things exist.

EDIT: the HD (iomega) came with some software, but I trust bundled software about this much –> <— and I really don't want to fill my PC with sh*t.

rusky
    Free Member

Can you add the drive using iSCSI, it should show up as a standard drive if so.

scaredypants

microsoft make synctoy (I think) for XP – maybe there's one for W7 as well?

I use syncback. It's free and does work on a network drive. Can be scheduled too. haven't had to use it after a crash but the saved files are openable individually (I don't compress them, mind)

molgrips
    Free Member

iSCSI, sounds interesting, will check it out.

Synctoy.. yes, interesting.. there's syncing stuff built in, hadn't thought of the idea of syncinc rather than backing up…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

synctoy is excellent

faff free, simple reliable interface and you can completely customise what you choose to back up. like you i don't trust bundled backup sw so have used it for a few years. i back up 'documents', 'my music' and 'my photos' on a monthly basis and my outlook pst files on a weekly basis to a NAS drive.

molgrips
    Free Member

iSCSI not supported by my cheapo NAS innit…

retro83
    Free Member

something like areca looks like it'll do the job:
    http://www.areca-backup.org/index.php

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 backups’ is closed to new replies.