Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Windows 10 – Good/Bad/The Same compared to Windows 7?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My taskbar keep sticking out like an akward boner, FFS.

RustyNissanPrairie

did a decent spec 5 year old Acer laptop that had become clogged up and unusable. It worked ok on 10 but I couldn’t be bothered undoing all the unnecessary guff. I have my all my pc’s set to Windows classic, black background, no sounds, no fancy slidy/fading nonsense, 10 had too much faffage, went back to a fresh install of 7 and its just as fast.

Desktop/CAD machines are staying on 7 as long as possible.

footflaps

We’re on Windows 7 Pro at work and have no intention of upgrading. Can’t see anything which justifies the faff.

onewheelgood

Mrs Owg got caught out by the ‘Close means yes’ trick and it attempted to upgrade. By the time I got home the PC was completely unbootable. Took a lot of fannying about to get it running again – in W7. I’m now trying to decide if I should download it tonight and try a clean install.

spekkie
    Free Member

So I’ve now “downloaded” 3Gb of Windows 10 to my laptop TWICE and both times the installation has failed with the message “reverting to a previous version of Windows”. Apparently the installation process doesn’t save the downloaded files so you have to start again from scratch. Mrs Spekkie has downloaded once onto the same make and model of laptop, we will see how that goes.

Our internet is very fast but capped. So Windows 10 is now not an option. I’m 10Gb down and can’t lose anymore.

If it’s any consolation, at least I can claim a prize for having said “we don’t need to do it and it probably won’t work anyway because instead of keeping things simple MS will have confused the issue by trying to get clever”

Happy days. Windows 7 looks good to me.

🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

I see that Mrs Spekkie is also on her second download, and had a couple of stalled attempts during the day – we downloaded a total of 14Gb of “Windows 10” yesterday. . . . .

Now we need to tighten our belts if we don’t want to run out of capacity before the end of our current session in 10 days!

mudshark
    Free Member

I had a number of failed install attempts too and although it stayed in Win 7 it wouldn’t boot properly, fortunately I was able to system restore to a stable install point and then try again and it worked ok. Happy enough with it.

Have many businesses gone to Win 10 yet?

andytherocketeer

Not many. Certainly not enterprise level, although I imagine some smaller businesses and those where individuals have control over their IT kit.

The installer and automatic popup that says you really should install it are stupid though. I triggered he install manually, and then halfway through, the popup appears urging you to upgrade to W10, but it actually looked just like another click OK to continue for the install that already running. You’d think it’d be clever enough to realise that an upgrade/install was in progress! Or maybe not.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s a negative.

scotroutes

If you are on a capped Internet connection then download the ISO version and install it from there. Especially handy if you have multiple PCs to do.

RustyMac

In the past few weeks i have upgraded 2x netbooks (1.6GHz Atom processor 2Gb RAM and a SSD) and our good laptop (2.5Ghz i5 processor 8Gb RAM and a SSD), Win 10 seems to be running fine on all.

I figured as you can roll back at any time it would be worth getting in when it was free.

Netbooks were on XP so they were a bit more of a fiddle, getting win 7 on them then upgrading to 10 i’d say speed wise on less powerful machines there is little in it between 7 and 10 but having commonality of operating system across all 3 for us will be handy. The good laptop seems much quicker on 10.

Cougar

Netbooks were on XP so they were a bit more of a fiddle, getting win 7 on them then upgrading to 10

It’s moot now cos you’ve done it, but you don’t need to install W7 first if you’re doing a “keep nothing” install. You can wipe it and stick W10 straight on so long as you’ve got a valid W7 licence key.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    holst
    Free Member

download the ISO version and install it from there

This is good advice.

scotroutes

Oh boy here comes more fun. Man, I am beginning to regret this.

I’m guessing that most folk are running the Home version, not the Pro, so how many will this affect?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Don’t know, but I don’t want it and I suspect businesses don’t either.

Rio

Lots of people running pro I suspect (me for example). The Home edition as I understand it never gave you the option to use the local group policy editor to remove some of the less desirable features, so there was no way of stopping the random installation of cruft. This just removes that option from pro as well.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/windows-10-one-year-later-the-anniversary-update/

You’ll be getting it, so you might as well know what it contains!

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Good/Bad/The Same compared to Windows 7?’ is closed to new replies.