Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Window fitting /Building control sign off??
  • renton
    Free Member

We had new windows and a door fitted to our house back in feb.

The chap that fitted them came on the back of many recommendations and his work quality is outstanding.

However he is not Fensa registered but instead he gets building control round to inspect and then sign off the work.

I was just wondering if any of you know if there is a time limit on getting it all signed off as it still hasnt been done ?

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

There is usually no time limit on building control. They should be notified before work starts but after that no limit. There is a limit on how long after the work BC can enforce though. Also the fee is quite high so I’d be wary of someone trying to avoid it

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply,

I believe the fee was incorporated into my costs for the window fitting.

Ive chased him once a month since and there have been various excuses from being mega busy to splitting up with his wife.

wwaswas

I had to get building control out after the old window was removed and before new one was fitted as he wanted to check the lintels were ok and that I’d used appropriate closers for damp proofing/insulation then they come again when the job’s finished to sign off (I’ve not had sign off yet, keep failing to organise it…).

Was about £150 I think.

renton
    Free Member

mmmmm, dont remember them coming when the old windows were out ?

footflaps

There is usually no time limit on building control.

Yep still not got round to getting the workshop fully signed off even though it was built 4 years ago…..

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yep still not got round to getting the workshop fully signed off even though it was built 4 years ago…..

I rebuilt my house in 2005 and they never came back to sign it off.

renton
    Free Member

I guess its only an issue if I come to sell then ?

footflaps

For a new window which no one can tell when it was installed, nope.

footflaps

I rebuilt my house in 2005 and they never came back to sign it off.

Aren’t you supposed to get them back…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

For a new window which no one can tell when it was installed, nope.

but it’s usually obvious whether it was in the period of the current owner and its the sort of thing that adds delays to time to exchange when you come to sell. Roof on our last place had been replaced without BC sign off. Solicitor picks up on it for some reason and as a buyer you can’t just tell them to ignore it.

vinnyeh

We did the same as you, our builder fitted new windows in a house as part of some other works, never got it signed off, no problems when we sold, paid the money for an indemnity policy- buyer and their solicitor weren’t concerned in the slightest, our solicitor said it was very common.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Window fitting /Building control sign off??’ is closed to new replies.