Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Window 7, views and where to buy?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Thinking of leaving the safety of XP for Windows 7, scary, I know – but wonder how those who have already upgraded have got on? Device Drivers etc.?
    Also which version to buy and best price – I seem to remember seeing a 3Pc licence version, but could not find that last time I looked..thanks

druidh
    Free Member

I have 3 PCs in the house, one of each running Win7, Vista and XP. To be honest, there's little difference between them. I'll hang off upgrading the XP machine to Win7 until it needs replaced.

GrahamS

Home Premium 64-bit edition.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

No idea about price as it's free from work. The device drivers side seems better than XP in my limited experience, in that i've plugged USB devices in and it's just gone off and found them from somewhere, whereas with XP i've had to find the original vendor software to get the stuff to function.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've been loving 7/64bit (other than the odd 64bit driver problem), seems like a great leap forward from XP TBH. (I've had every OS from DOS6, most of the major Linux distros etc so have some basis for comparison). Visually nicer than vista, more functional that it though somehow. Faster and better at dealing with hardware.

retro83
    Free Member

After a few weeks aggravation of having things moved about, I'm loving 7.

Nothing individually is amazing, but all the tweaks together make it much nicer than XP to use – to the point where I almost considered putting it on my Macbook instead of OSX 10.6 … luckily regained my composure before I did that though. 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Still running the RC here! only 2 weeks left, really must get round to installing the full version I bought 8 months ago

clubber
    Free Member

I've got it on my home laptop and work laptop. I think it's great. No problems that I can think of so far other than learning a few new shortcuts and so on.

No driver problems though some of my work products aren't yet available in W7 versions so I'm having to remote desktop for those but that's our fault for running old software. Latest versions are fine on it.

tails
    Free Member

would it still run software for xp? Even dodgy software.

wwaswas

http://www.software4students.co.uk/

is probably cheapest if there's anyone in your household vaguely associated with education.

clubber
    Free Member

All my xp software at home has run fine. It's only more high tech work stuff that I've had any issue with and only because we're running old versions.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks for that, useful advice! 🙂

petrieboy

anyone seen any good prices for a full version (not upgrade)??

_tom_
    Free Member

Windows 7 is awesome. I get it for free through uni but would definitely pay for it. So much nicer than XP – quick, simple and it looks great.

zaskar
    Free Member

What about performance on an older PC

(Single core Turion64 2gig laptop?)

I'm using XP pro and its been fine. Tempted to upgrade to 7 or
    just buy a new laptop with pre-installed.

rkk01
    Free Member

I've kept XP on the main desktop PC. Tempted to go for 7, but have a lot of older games that run well on XP – not sure that they would be any good if upgraded.

Does performance take a hit if it's not a clean install?

wwaswas

Umless there is software you want that runs on 7 and not XP there's no real benefit to upgrading.

From Vista it's probably a different story.

You need to do a clean install from XP as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Window 7, views and where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.