Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Windermere ferry
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Can you take bikes on the ferry on Windermere, either the tourist boat that runs the length or the small ferry that crosses the middle.

I would like to build this in to a route if possible. Thought it would be a good way to end the ride.

Ta for any help

PTR
    Free Member

You can definatley take them on the ferry, we do it all the time, just ride past all the cars queing and on you get. It makes for a great link into Grizedale.
    Not sure about the Steamers though.

woodchip46
    Free Member

You can take bikes on the small ferry, costs a £1 per bike. Where are you planning to ride? Last weekend we started in Winderemere, across ferry, along the lakeside to wray castle and into Ambleside. We then went over Jenkin crag to Troutbeck, over Garburn pass, back over past Kentmere old hall and worked our way back to Windermere.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks,

We are staying at lakeside so i was thinking, up through grizdale and then round ambleside and the steamer could take us back but it looks like we will have to ride round to the ferry and then back down the west side of the lake.

Still should be good..

PTR
    Free Member

While you are up there, have a look in Biketreks for routes.
    Riding from Lakeside and using the ferry, you should be able to adapt routes for Grizedale, Loughrigg, and Claiff Heights, or even add bits together.
    I wouln’t fancy riding the A591 from Lakeside either, try going over Jenkins Cfrag and Robin lane to Troutbeck, then make your way to Bowness using the back roads.

PTR
    Free Member

Sorry, wrong end of the Lake, I’d mixed up Lakeside with Waterhead….
    There is some good riding to the east of you, around Whitbarrow and Witherslack

phinbob

Just make sure that you wait to board until all the cars are on the ferry, otherwise you will look like a dick, especially if you have stood next to a big yellow sign saying as much for 10 minutes and are dressed all gnarrr. Just sayin’.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks i will let you know how i get on.

santacruzrider
    Free Member

It’s great when the queue is long and you ride past all the cars to the front of the queue. The staff are great and will wave you on when they’re ready for you.

Esme
    Free Member

Yes, you can also take bikes on the steamer. We’ve done it several times.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Windermere ferry’ is closed to new replies.