Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wind turbines
  • bruk

Say hypothetically you were about to buy a house, as in due to exchange contracts and you drove past it this morning and found a 15m high wind turbine in the field at the bottom of the garden that you knew nothing about and that the vendor hadn’t mentioned was going to be built.

How would you feel and react?

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’d be feeling a bit stupid for not seeing it before. 😳

bruk

Oops sorry forgot to finish my sentence. Edited now and thanks for making me smile.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Do they need planning permission and wouldn’t that have been flagged on the searches?
    How do you feel about the property?
    It would be enough to pull out of the deal in my opinion.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Photo? Is it 130m away? (Dependant on the make of turbine) It shouldn’t be a problem as it will have had to go through full planning.

csb

Permitted Development Rights for domestic or agricultural turbine I think.

Is it SW/S/SE of the house and likely to cast a rotating shadow on the house?

bruk

Not flagged in searches as vendor said no planning issues noted, solicitor says if hd been flagged would have done additional search, initial permission was denied in March 2011 but granted on appeal.

Not sure exactly how far away it is. Will actually go to property and measure tomorrow.

Not just as bothered by it actually being there but it may well make the house less saleable when we want to move so need people’s views on that, ie davidjones15 walking away because it’s there.

paddy0091
    Free Member

How would you feel if you found out that it was providing power for your house and that your electricity bills would be minimal/zero £? for arguments sake.

Onzadog
    Free Member

By the time you come to sell, either they’ll be everywhere or people will have given up on them and it will have been taken down.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Not just as bothered by it actually being there but it may well make the house less saleable when we want to move so need people’s views on that, ie davidjones15 walking away because it’s there.

I wouldn’t be too bothered if it was a) far enough away not to trouble me.
    b) giving me power.
    c) was under my control, so I could switch it off.
    EDIT: As Onzadog says, it’ll be pulled down when people realize the future is in passive solutions and better insulation. 😀

jamesy01
    Free Member

If its going to cast shadow over the house I’d seriously consider walking away.
    We have a 140m turbine in the industrial estate, approx 1km from our house, and even with no windows in the house facing directly towards it we can suffer horrendous ‘turbine flicker’ in the summer depending on conditions.
    It’s very annoying and changed my mind on turbins in built up areas.

Edit, just noticed its *only* 15m, noise is probably going to be your problem in high winds.

bruk

Good point Onzadog, when we plan on selling in 8-10 years they may well be everywhere or proven a waste of time and ditched. There is a clause in planning means it has to come down if non operational for over 12 months. They also have to do a noise survey within 3 months.

I would be very happy if it was going to provide me with free power, however I wouldn’t want it to impact on my neighbours lives. I guess I need more time to go and look at it and listen for it in different wind conditions. 1 thing is sure, I won’t be moving on Friday.

csb

How much discount is it worth?

bruk

Indeed my mercenary thought was bollocks if I am going to pay the agreed price now.

Lots to think about. Wife was delayed on flight back from States by 14 hrs and went ballistic when I told her.

MrNutt
    Free Member

If it’s a small grey turbine with a tail on it then the fridge in your kitchen will probably be louder than the turbine.(my new LG is 42db!)

If it’s over 55m away then shadow flicker won’t be an issue.

If it’s not one as described above then it could be of “down wind” design and will have a “percussive” noise signature which some folk find intolerable.

In 10 years time they will be common place, it already is in many parts of the country.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wind turbines’ is closed to new replies.