Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wind Damaged Roof – Just after gable end facia replaced
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We recently (within 4 weeks) had the gable end of our house changed from the orginal wood to plastic. 1920’s ish stone house, wooden facias, slate roof.

Last night was very very windy, and this morning about 8 roof tiles all along the facia edge have blown off, and it looks like more will come. Unfortunately 1 also fell on to my car and has damaged paint work, and deeply scrathed a side window which will need replacing.

The owner of the company has rung me back and said that it is not their responsiblity as:

1. They didnt lift any roof tiles to change the facia.
    2. When they surveyed the property before installation they noted some roof tiles needed work
    3. That plastic facias are not as thick as the old wood, so this does leave more roof tile exposed.

My initial thought is if they had these concerns, why didnt they raise them before doing the work??

Re point 3, when I now compare the tiles on our roof compare to next door, we have about 2″ overhanging the facia, basically so the wind can get underneath to lift the tiles 🙁

So what would you do now?

My thought is to send them an email this afternoon stating they should have pointed out the above before doing the work.

The owner did say if it was their responsibility they would put it through their insurance, but very politely he was saying not his problem.

What would you do now?

Ta

globalti
    Free Member

Any chance you can post a picture? There seems to be quite a wealth of experience on this forum and a picture would help.

Sounds to me as if the extremely strong wind today has exposed a weakness that was already there and the change of fascia has not helped.

Doesn’t your household insurance cover the damage to roof and car?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Are we taking “fascia” at eaves or verge? I’m presuming verge, as in the gable end.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can not get pictures until I get home tonight (in the dark)

Although it was windy, it was not unusually so for our area, and the tiles have been fine as long as we have lived in the house for 8 years.

We have had other storm damage which pulled tiles off in the centre of the roof previously, but the edge has always been fine.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry just re read op and it’s gable. These are called barge, but that doesn’t change the fact the tiles have peeled. No matter what matey on the phone says he will have disturbed the original in some way. How were the original slates butted to the original barge. Was there a mortar fillet. There must have been something and should be something there now or your roof is exposed to all wind blown rain, plus insects and even Bird ingress if the gap is big enough.

legend
    Free Member

Got legal cover on your Home Insurance? If so, this might be the time to give them a call

Rockhopper
    Free Member

We finished an 80 bedroom two story hotel for a large international chain. On the day it was handed over the roof blew off!

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/county_escapes_worst_weather_1_112413

http://www.haverhill-uk.com/news/days-inn-team-celebrate-seven-years-since-the-tornado-5217.htm

It was decided that it was an act of god and the insurance sorted it out as I suspect they should in your case.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is our neighbours side, as ours is obscured by a tree.

Was there a mortar fillet. There must have been something and should be something there now or your roof is exposed to all wind blown rain

Not sure how it would have been secured in the past. I think it still is just a mortar fillet. However the leading edge of the tile is now more exposed.

I thought God only did nice things ??

wrightyson
    Free Member

There would usually be a verge board under the lath then the slate on top, in effect sandwiching the lath ends, I’d suggest this verge board would have been nailed or just laid on to the top of the barge then the subsequent gap filled with mortar. Its hard to tell from the pic as you can’t zoom in that far. I think you’re going to struggle to pin the blame but it is a bit odd how the first good wind we’ve had since the work was done has caused tiles to peel.
    Whichever way you go, you really need to get someone up there sharpish as the gap for the wind to work at will be far more exposed now.

bruneep

Slates are not tiles.

anyhoo, without a doubt they would have disturbed the slates I’ve seen it so many times when I used to work on the roof. Normally the fitters go crazy with silicone or mastic.

I’d be asking for this liability insurance company details.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d speak to your insurance company and make a claim. Let them know what work has been done and by whome.
    The insurance company will fix the damage and, if they think there’s something wrong with the work done, go after company.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Slates are not tiles

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m sure the op understood as I called them slates the first time. I’ve not worked on many roofs so I’m glad you’re here 😉

bruneep

As am I, goodness knows how you’d cope at the builders merchant. 😉

matt_outandabout

This is what home insurance is for.

Claim, let them argue with trades folk if needed.

Jamie
    Free Member

As am I, goodness knows how you’d cope at the builders merchant.

They fund their Christmas parties on the restocking fees 8)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

After a strongly worded email last night, the company concerned rang me first thing this morning to say they will pick up all costs of sorting the roof and repairing the car.

Good play to them in the end.

bruneep

no more than they should’ve done in first place, shame they tried to dodge it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wind Damaged Roof – Just after gable end facia replaced’ is closed to new replies.