Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will they survive?
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Some mates are off to Cwm Carn and Afan in April. ( I have opted out due to an injury)

They plan to hit the downhill runs and then Skyline etc at Afan. However, I think they are rather ill equipped for Cwn Carn
    1) None of them have ridden downhill runs as in the likes of Cwn Carn before
    2) Bikes being taken range from HT’s eg Rockhoppers, a couple of 29’ers, one of them is on a 15 yr old Rocky Mtn Slayer with V brakes and insists he will be fine. Their tyres are all single ply etc …you get the drift.

Whilst I think their set up might be fine for Afan I have serious doubts abt Cwn Carn.
    Am I wrong in my assessment that this is going to go all pear shaped or do I keep trying to get them to think again about their set up?

(The only downhills I’ve done is Whistler so not familiar with the UK centres yet)

LoCo
    Free Member

They’ll be fine, may not enjoy the DH too much, but it’s rideable on a hardtail just more fun on a bigger bike.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Good luck with v-brakes with this weather on any trail at afan/cwmcarn!

Its all doable, just wont be that enjoyable imo.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Oh HT’s at a trail centre, certain death 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

unless they have booked on to the uplift at CC i predict they will do the XC loop.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

thanks guys… will pass on the advice subtlety

Duane…
    Free Member

They’ll be fine.

People rode downhill before “modern” downhill bikes existed.

They might not be able to ride down as quick, but they’ll still have fun.

edward2000
    Free Member

They’ll be alright if they are careful, just make sure they are aware of faster people behind them.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

They’ll know what they are capable of when they see the trails.

Plenty of less gnar quality xc around there including away from the trail centres.

coopersport1
    Free Member

When CyB first opened, I was a student and only had a fully rigid carrera Halfords special with rim brakes, I didn’t die but it was more of a challenge and thinking back probably more fun, FS 29er these days you hardly even notice the trail under you

munrobiker
    Free Member

The DH at Cwm Carn isn’t especially tough, a good one to start with and at the student champs I’ve seen inexperienced people ride it on hardtails and not die.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will they survive?’ is closed to new replies.