• This topic has 89 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • will the 29er bubble burst?
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

29ers are here to stay .. it's 26" bikes that will soon be extinct.

Look at the US – the market over there is huge and the industry has basically switched to 29ers – 26" is considered 'old news' there – we in the UK are going to "get what we are given" really as it's the big American companies that drive trends and designs in off-the-peg bikes.

IMO – within 5 years 26" designs will be consigned to 'slope-style' and DH bikes… 29ers will be the dominant XC archetype but I expect to see more 650B Full-sus designs developed to offer longer travel AND a larger wheel.

clubber
    Free Member

within 5 years 26" designs will be consigned to 'slope-style' and DH bikes

No chance. 10 years and I'd still disagree but say that it's feasible. Not 5.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

You only need to pick up an American MTB mag (MBA?) and see the prolifieration of 29ers already. I honestly don't see much of a future for 26" – although companies like Orange will probably sstill be selling single-pivot 26" bikes in 30 years timwe 😉

Shred
    Free Member

A sign of the growth of 29ers is InterBike. There are a lot more 29ers there this year, plus a lot of the European brands are now starting to offer 29ers.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

By that reasoning, road bikes should have even larger wheels

before the UCI decided it was pushing the rules a little too much…..

chiefgrooveguru

If 29" is really the 'optimum' size for a bicycle wheel, shouldn't we be measuring inclusive of tyre diameter instead of only taking rim diameter into account?

Both 26" and 29" 'wheels' are actually smaller wheels whose approximate outside tyre diameter with an average tyre (whatever that is) is 26" and 29" respectively. It's a very odd convention!

NZCol

I'm in Austria just now and was in Switzerland last week. I've lost count of the number of riders wanting to look/fiddle with my 29er (Tallboy). Yet I have not seen a tyre or a tube that would fit in any shop. I've also not seen a 29er bike in any of the shops I have visited.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Must admit I've ridden a couple.

A Gary Fisher SS one with front forks and a Kona FS one, kinda funny feeling but good none-the-less.

Might get one in the future, maybe………

rOcKeTdOg

fiddling with a tallboy sounds fun 😉

DezB
    Free Member

it's 26" bikes that will soon be extinct
    😆

No-one is going to persuade me I need bigger wheels. Not now not ever.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘will the 29er bubble burst?’ is closed to new replies.