Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Will Shimano Deore FH-M525 freewheel fit on to Sun Ringle XMB Mk II hub body?
  • slade_j

Hi,

Anyone know if a Shimano Deore FH-M525 freewheel will fit on to Sun Ringle XMB Mk II hub body?

I’m not talking about whether I can swap cassettes between the hubs but whether the combination of the Shimano Body Fixing Bolt, Complete Freewheel Body and Freewheel Body Washer (parts 16, 17 and 19 on the exploded diagram here) will fit on to Sun Ringle hub body.

(I realise I could spend £30 to get a new Sun Ringle freewheel but wanted to try and use a perfectly good Shimano freewheel if it will work)

(apologies for the small text in the linked diagram, it proved tricky to find a diagram with text descriptions for such an old hub!)

Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

Not a chance, totally different mounting systems i’m afraid.

rogermoore

If you do buy the XMB replacement freehub, make sure you have an 11mm Allen Key in your tool box to fit it.
    RM.

slade_j

Thanks coatsey and rogermoore … I’d wondered if that might be the case 🙁 Good tip about the 11 mm allen key

(10 mm, which works for a lot of Shimano freewheels, is often the biggest in most people’s toolkits from my experience … 11 mm and larger can sometimes be found in a well stocked socket set which includes hex ends, or can be bought separately as Allen keys e.g. from Park Tools)

coatesy
    Free Member

If you want to buy 11mm hex keys without the inflated bike tax added to the price, industrial suppliers/tool shops are the best place, however most will give you a blank look, shrug, or teeth sucking when you ask for 11mm. Ask for a 7/16″,and they’ll hand you one that measures 11mm (thanks to Pheonix-Saxton tools for that tip).

slade_j

Top tip coatsey 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Will Shimano Deore FH-M525 freewheel fit on to Sun Ringle XMB Mk II hub body?’ is closed to new replies.