Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Will retro bombers work or better to use a more modern fork?
  • wilbo
    Free Member

I am currently building up a trail bike using a late 90’s Scott Tacana as a starting point. The Manitou Spyder R forks on it are knackered so I am looking for replacements.

Something appeals about having the iconic forks from that era, the ornage coloured Marzocchi Bomber Z1, however they will now be approaching 20 years old. If I have them fully serviced, can I expect them to perform well or should I just consider something newer like a RS Reba?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

bombers wwere some of the best forks of their era, they arent as good as the new stuff obviously but period manitou and rock shox were actually not as good as bombers. I have a pair of manitou ones and twos on retro bikes but its for the way they look not performance.

RicB

What steerer dia are the current forks. From that era I’m gusssing 1″. You might struggle with fiding a moderm 1″ steerer-tubed fork…

Just buy something cheap and get them custom painted?

wilbo
    Free Member

The steerer is 1″1/8. The only limitation is needing v brake mounts, one because the frame doesn’t have disc mounts and two, because I am running HS33’s which I really like (although appreciate they can be a bit strong for trail riding).

andrewh
    Free Member

I was using some 2003 Jr Ts (6″ coil sprung, 1 1/8″, 9mm QR, disc & V mounts) until earlier this year. Frame died but forks were still working fine, weighed a ton but function was spot on. Sold them when I bought a new frame and it came with some Maz 66RCVs, which feel pretty similar, 20mm axle is slightly stiffer but not massively.
    If you can find some in good nick go for it. Only problem I can foresee is getting spares if needed, Windwave aren’t good at the best of times never mind with 15yr old bits!

RicB

I’ve got some mint condition 100mm Magura Laurins if you’re interested?

Stanchions perfect, regularly lowers-serviced, platform damping with remote lever, v-brake mounts, mega-stiff due to dual-arch design (good for HS33s!), qr, black.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Z1’s came in 1″1/8. I think they hit the nail on the head. I can’t see what modern forks really do that much better apart from more easily tuned and a bit lighter and stiffer. It’s certainly not low speed sensitivity, which was excellent. A bit of time spent playing with different weight oil and tweaking the rebound and you can get them dialled in perfict! A milestone in mtb development in my opinion. Still have a pair now.

joolsburger
    Free Member

MY old Z1 Freerides were cracking good forks, heavy but plush and reliable. Just got a set of bottom of the range 2003 MXR100’s on my lads bike and after a service last night they are plush, getting full travel and surprisingly decent. You can’t really go wrong with old Zocchis but they do weigh a bit.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Bombers at all. After 20 years they might be due a service, but once done will be ready for another 20.

Andy-R

I’m currently using a set of 2006 150mm Marzocchi Z1’s (coil + ETA, not Doppio Air) on my Genesis Alpitude and I’m loving them – I’ve always been a Marzocchi fan anyway.

matt_outandabout

We have some Mrazocchi x-flys of 2001 vintage and some 2006/7 Fox TALAS.

The only difference I can tell is the flex in them – the x flys are not as stiff.

The x-flys seem supple, light and just work.

The TALAS need another service again…

Having said that, my 2008 Fox Float QR15 120’s are much better than both…

the-muffin-man

Careful with the orange Z1 bombers (and early bombers). The ones with twin disc mounts aren’t standard mounts.

The hole centres are 48mm not 50mm (or the other way around, can’t remember now!), so current discs won’t fit.

Hope used to make a brake to fit.

Apart from that they were the best and most tunable forks I’ve had.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

if you get them for a good price and can service them i do not think you will be disappointed. Although I suspect today’s basic quality forks are not so basic now either.

lewislippiatt
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of ’98 Z2s on a Kona Explosif of the same vintage. 75mm of travel doesn’t feel like a lot these days, but they function perfectly well. Nice and plush and what little external adjustment is available does work. The chassis is not as stiff as a modern fork with a 15/20mm axle and 32mm+ stantions, but it’s good enough.

One word of warning: springs. It seems quite difficult to get hold of any of the different weight ones. I’m only just light enough to get away with the standard ones. If you’re over 13.5 stone, check you can find a stiff spring before getting the fork.

tomlevell

Original 97/98 bombers were and last time I used them about 4 years ago still brilliant.
    Main difference for me over modern forks was the amount of flex which after half an hour went out of my head anyway.

Retired mine finally as the inside of the boottom of the legs were beginning to flake away.

Plus don’t think you’d get me on a 17 year suspension fork now.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

The early z1 bombers were good, 1996 dual disc mount. Easy to service oil bath and coil. maybe look at mx comps or mx pros – 2001 to 2006 based on the z series, but more upto date. air or coil, 80mm, 100mm, 120mm. v brake and standard disc tab

accu
    Free Member

still cracking good !no anual service,no faff with different air chambers..just riding along..

ctk
    Free Member

I have a set of yellow Z4s doing nowt if interested.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’ll be reet. Those original Z1’s are pretty tough old things and easy to work on. UK Bike Store have a pretty good range of spares.

If I ever finish my single speed, that’ll be running some old 98 Z3’s.

I’m using a pair of Z1 Anniversary forks on my Stanton and love them, but in love older Marzocchi’s up until the All Mountain forks which were garbage. Sometimes wish I’d got some 55 RC3 Ti’s instead of my Devilles.

wilbo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, purchased the bombers last night. Really looking forward to getting them now. They have literally just been serviced so will hopefully be good as new.

ryan91
    Free Member

Accu, I remember having an identical set on Z1’s my 2005 Scott Nitrous, recall them being very supple with a lovely suckling noise from new. I’d love to compare a set to say a set of revelations, see the difference !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Will retro bombers work or better to use a more modern fork?’ is closed to new replies.