• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Will my BB be OK? It won't screw in fully
  • jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve only built up three frames previously so I’ve still much to learn and have never encountered this. Currently building a new frame.

The non drive side BB cup will not go in the last 3mm. Well, it might go in a bit more but it would then be proper man-tight and I fear it would never get it out.

BB cups go in fine up to that point and the thread is not threaded. All the internal thread is being used with it 3mm out. Drive side one is fine.

Any suggestions? Or will it be fine as is? Thanks

Gotama
    Free Member

Have you got the right spacers in?

Edit like this…. Link

kraftyslices

Are you sure you don’t need to use any spacers? I’ve got a 2.5mm spacer on each side of my BB. If it’s new there should be some instructions with your BB telling you which combination of spacers you need

tomhoward

Have you got the right (or, any) spacers in?

I’ll wager that’s a ‘no’. Will it go all the way in if the drive side isnt in place?

@kraftyslices, 1 each side? You have a 70.5mm bb shell? Normally you use all three spacers (68mm) or just the one (73mm)?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

How wide is the BB shell? 68mm?

Cheezpleez

You need a bigger hammer 😀

jamiep
    Free Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Realise I left out important details:

It is 68mm, which is correct.

Old, square-tapper crank, which never originally had spacers on the first bike.

I don’t have any spacers – where would one buy them (if they are required?)?

this style (although not this model):

ononeorange

It Sounds silly, but sure it’s not a 73mm unit you’ve got?

jamiep
    Free Member

deffo 68

tomhoward

Ah, old style BB, sorry, thought we were talking about HTII BB’s.

I’m out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, it’s not unusual for some of the nylon threads to show. Take the drive side out and the see if the non drive side will screw in further. If so, back it off and refit.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep not all that odd to see a few turns of thread on the lh cup as long as the drive side is flush with the shell
    All should be fine

jamiep
    Free Member

Brilliant. Drive side is fine.

Thank you for everyone’s help – this weekend I will now have the pleasure of building a new 1*10 long travel HT and a rigid SS when I swap some donor parts 😛

scaredypants

what they ( ^ ) said, it’ll likely be fine – the NDS cup is “only” there to stabilise the shell inside the frame and is intended to be a tight interference fit. Assuming it isn’t somehow jammed in the BB threads it’ll be right

I always grease the BB threads of course, but also the inner surface of the cup, to make sure it slides nicely over the main shell and so supports it well. (sure I’ve read others thinking this is a recipe for creaks but it’s worked OK for me in the past)

PJay
    Free Member

I fitted a cartridge Octalink bottom bracket to my partner’s bike. The drive side (main cartridge) is flush but the resin adapter is showing a thread; it doesn’t seem to have caused any problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Will my BB be OK? It won't screw in fully’ is closed to new replies.