Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Will I notice much difference going from a 100 to 120 fork?
  • santac
    Free Member

As above ,have an anthem x and am thinking of putting a 120 fork on just because it seems the norm to have 120(or more) nowadays.
    But thinking I can’t see it will change the bike much at all.
    Anybody done it and been impressed?

Jehosophat
    Free Member

Yes. I went from a 90mm coil Pace RC36 to a 100mm Pace RC39 C-type and loved it. But the front still felt out-suspended by the rear on really rough stuff so I went to a DT Swiss XMC130. It added a pound or so but the feel on rough ground and especially downhill on rough stuff is just so much better.

Some caveats: In my case there is no downside to the extra travel as “launch control” locks most of it out for roads/climbs. And the XMC130 is much stiffer than the RC39 so much of the improvement is probably stiffness not travel – if you are going to a 120mm fork that is stronger than your 100mm then you’ll see more of an improvement. As a lightish (70kg) rider I didn’t think I’d notice this but I really did – the front end tracks so much truer now and the whole ride is just more secure and controlled.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Quality of damping is paramout. Don’t trade a crap 120mm fork if you have a good 100mm fork.

Depending on the fork length, it might slacken the bike a little bit too, and change your weight distribution on the bike.

Ticklinjock

I put a 125 vanilla on a Giant NRS a while back.

Felt more capable over techy stuff.
    Front tended to lift on really steep stuff, so took more effort putting weight forward to prevent it.
    Steering wasn’t as precise.

It has a 100mm Skareb on it again.
    It now gets used for long distance offroad rides that dont have techy challenges.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have done that exact same move, Anthem X with F120 on the front from the F100 it had before. so much better for me now, has slowed the twitchy steering and seems a lot more balanced…

Spin
    Free Member

I would estimate that you will notice a 20% difference in travel. 🙂

santac
    Free Member

I have Fox F100 fitted at the moment think I will give it a go with some coil u-turn rev’s I have and if impressed enough invest in some new forks

mrmo
    Free Member

i went from 100mm to 80mm on my top fuel and think it is nicer with a shorter fork. depends on what you ride, how you ride etc.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends. There are 120mm travel forks with a shorter axle to crown length than than some 100mm travel ones. And then there’s your sag to take into account.

flip
    Free Member

I estimate you’ll notice 20mm difference which equates to a medium sized pebble…

sambob
    Free Member

Yep. I went from a 100 dual air reba to 120 Pike U-turn on my FSR XC and it was far more balanced, and the stiffness helped too.

santac
    Free Member

any more thoughts?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I put some 120mm forks on an old rift zone that cames with 80s. Feels like a chopper now 😆

I don’t suppose your Anthem is one of the ones withe the 80mm geometry is it?

superfli
    Free Member

You might prefer the more relaxed angles from the longer travel fork, less weight on the bars giving you more confidence on the steeps and through fast downhill corners.
    I’ve been from 100mm to 120 to 140mm on my Stumpy and love it 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Will I notice much difference going from a 100 to 120 fork?’ is closed to new replies.