Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • will I notice a big difference from steel forks to carbon forks?
  • santac
    Free Member

As above have steel forks on my 29er and am thinking of getting some carbon one's will I notice a big difference?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I thought there would be a humongous weight difference when I switched from steel to carbon on my io and there………………………wasn't 😆 the only + to it the more forgiving ride.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont bother, drop you tyre pressure by one or two psi and save the money.

ton

carbon 29r forks are very twangy……
    get a pair of salsa steel 29r forks. far superior….imho that is.

epicyclo

On-One carbon forks aren't twangy in my experience.

The steel fork on a Singular feels pretty good too.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I prefer a steel rigid fork with low pressure tyre. Extra weight of the fork feels more 'planted' IMO.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My project 2s were more forgiving over bigger stuff but my on one carbons damp out the high frequency hand numbing stuff much better.Going to relent and put some proper boing on for the 100k plus stuff.Boooo

clubber
    Free Member

Typically it's a bit "princess and the pea" – you usually can feel a slight difference (carbon feels just a little softer – like having 5psi less in your tyres maybe) but it really is a small difference and I can't say that I've ever noticed any consistent or significant difference in how tired/numb handed I feel after a ride between the good steel and carbon.

I've ridden RC31s, On-one carbonss, Bonty carbons, P2 steel, Pipedreams steel, deadhead steel (Trails type – silly stiff and noticably jarring actually) plus various other steel forks that I forget.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i like the on one carbons on my scandal, the only time i really notice any flexy twanginess is under really heavy front braking, but it's not a negative, just something you can pick up if you concentrate. the rest of the time they're a nice ride up front.

tinsy
    Free Member

clubber has a good point on it depends on the steel forks you have, I went from a set of jump forks that were too short to RC31's that were the right length and there was a big difference…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had IRC ti forks back in the day. They flexed in a bad way.

santac
    Free Member

I have On One steel forks they are 29er

sofaking
    Free Member

i prefer steel over carbon , a lot less twangy and not much harsher if your have a big tyre with low presure

Clink

On-one carbon + nice big tyre (RR 2.4 29er) + ti H-bars = 😀

I tried the Salsas and find the O-O carbons more comfortable.

emac65
    Free Member

I got some salsa's chromo's off a fella on here,they feel very nice 🙂

hazeii
    Free Member

On One steel forks fine here (on 26 and 29"). Everyday ride.

On One carbon forks – bit lighter, just maybe notice a bit of softening the sting. Used for faster rides, but do take a bit of care what I hit with them.

White Bros (also Nukeproof/everyone else) carbon forks, lighter still, but noticeably more noodly that both the OO steel and carbon forks. Used on fastest rides, and only when paying attention.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘will I notice a big difference from steel forks to carbon forks?’ is closed to new replies.