Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Will I die – old ski content
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“You do have a way with words FD”

Only offering some critical coaching advice 🙂 . Apparently I am a very good ski instructor in the real world 😯

Ok here goes a nicey nicey ‘correct’ technique explantion for off piste.

If its nice snow all you do is start by putting the skis on an edge turn almost like you do on piste, no leaning back, no leaning forward excessively just neutral, no heavy pressure etc.

After a couples of turns and a bit of momentum, you will naturaly start to bend the ski in to reverse camber through the turn and as you come out of the turn as you un weight naturally the ski will naturally return to the natural inverse camber. All this releases stored energy in the ski and you and unweights you making it easy to transfer your weight in to the next turn.

People watching this think that the person is ‘jumping’ up, they are not they are just using the energy in the ski. When you jump you have to exert pressure downwards and in powder all that does is push you deeper in the snow, uses more energy, and makes it difficult to switch from edge to edge…

🙂

bazzer
    Free Member

FD the rebound from the ski is how I feel when I ski on piste. The ski almost tells me its loaded up and its time to turn. I love that feeling of being popped into the next turn with the energy in the ski.

I find it harder to get that feeling off piste, it does come sometimes.

Are you teaching anywhere this year ?

Edited to ask what sort of width stance would you suggest when off piste ?

On piste I tend to be hip width, rather than old school ankles welded together. I have been trying to narrow my stance off piste is this correct ?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Way back in the day we had the had the attitude that skis were penis extensions- the longer the better

Yup – use to stand my 205’s on the toe of our boots in the cablecars to look badass!

It’s funny – I ski a 179cm, 90mm underfoot. Riding the cable car up the Grand Montet it felt short and skinny – weeks later in Zermat they felt massive as everyone was on little piste twiddlers.

I have been trying to narrow my stance off piste is this correct?

I’d go hip width or wider, you’ve got more chance of tripping over yourself in deep powder, go for the planted approach more like below (face optional)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“On piste I tend to be hip width, rather than old school ankles welded together.”

Old school was never ankles welded together, that was just an intermediates idea of what looked good. Hip width (what feels comfortable) is about right for on or off piste. Too close makes it difficult to distribute weight evenly and balance, too far apart and you will not be able to control the tips.

The biggest mistake a lot of people make skiing off piste is trying too hard. Try not to think about it too much and before you know it you are doing it naturally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ankles welded together

Still love seeing les vieux Francais rocking that look as they barrel along in a faded onesy!

Woody
    Free Member

Only just swapped the bindings from my Salomon Force9 3s (1998 vintage) onto my new Scott Aztec Pro’s. TBH if it’s icy, or in the bumps, I think they would be hard to beat and I still miss my dear departed Force9 2s (bloody baggage handlers) which were fantastic everywhere.

I’ve also got a pair of Head S75 which I keep for Scotland and Weardale and they are nowhere near as stable at speed as the old planks. They are much easier to use though,

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve got some Salomon Axendo 9s in my past (and cellar).

They haven’t been used in anger since 2002 but on a well-groomed piste they are fast as stink.

Bunnyhop

You used to ski very badly then,

Hee hee, you must have met me on the piste. Also still badly 😳

Have had many, many lessons, so hopefully improved over the years.
    Yes was talking about steep off piste for the jump turns. As CFH says ^^ I still see skiers with ankles glued together the French way.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Will I die – old ski content’ is closed to new replies.