Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Will I die? (and what road/touring rim)
  • Kahurangi

So I found out what was creaking!

The crack is approximately 62.3 mm long. Can’t be long before it goes BANG midway home 😯

I’ve sured it up with a bit of superglue and will give it a look on Monday to see how it’s growing, but I’ll let the tyre down a little and ride it gently till a replacement rim arrives and I can fit it.

So what replacement rim? This is my first bike with DT rims and is also my last.

The TK rims are ERTO 622×19 and don’t want to go narrower.

I need to use the same spokes – how do I know what rims are a similar enough shape to be ok?

Disk only is OK.

32h.

Rims MUST be silver. Bonus points if I can get an old skool polished finish. If barganacious enough, I could buy two to keep them matching.

I think the obvious answer is Mavic A319, how can I be sure they’ll be ok?

Cheers 😀

Kahurangi

I retract any sentiments I may have expressed about this forum being populated by wonderful and helpful people.

ton

spa cycles do alesa rims.
    the sputnik is my favourite.

Junkyard
    Free Member

approximately 62.3 mm long

no that is an accurate measurement
    65 mm or just over 60 mm is an approximation
    HTH
    I would not ride it but have ridden an equally bad one off road – it happened on a ride

how do I know what rims are a similar enough shape to be ok

IME all rims are similarily shaped as they are round 😉
    ERD – find this for your rim and get one that matches EXACTLY.

jimc101
    Free Member

Would not ride that till replaced, as it will no doubt go bang in the middle of nowhere

Rigida Sputnik seem like a good choice for replacement, they are 600 ERD, same as the TK; Mavic 319’s are 604.5 so would need new spokes.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/11155/Rigida-Sputnik-700c-Rim.html

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b9s116p67&tbv=RIGIDA_Sputnik_PARTS_&_ACCESSORIES_Components_-_Wheels_-_Rims

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d only ride that as a “try to get myself home” last mesure.
    If you want to use the same spokes the new rim will have to be close to the same “depth” as your old one. A couple of mm either way should be ok.

Kahurangi

Junkyard – intentional 😉 I had hoped to get at least one reply from a someone to point that out.

I have found various ERD’s for the A319 quoted, ranging from 600 to 609, but mostly 603 or 604.5.

Having a look at my spokes I’ll see if I can get away with it.

Cheers

😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Will I die? (and what road/touring rim)’ is closed to new replies.