Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Will any other adapters work with Formula brakes?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hello,

My mate just bought a set of Formula K18s, and he needs to use a post to is adapter to convert from 160 post to 180 is.

He has a Hope M4 180 post to is adapter, but I remember adapters being not quite straight forward with Formula brakes… can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

Ricks

dan1980
    Free Member

I’m using a shimano 180 post adaptor on the front with mine, and haven’t died yet.

I did have to use the formula 160 IS adaptor (which has a very pronounced curve in the middle) as the round portion of the calliper body wouldn’t allow me to use the one that came with the SLX brakes I had on before.

Hope this helps.

bigjim

Whilst we are on the topic, I bought some Formula Oro K24’s from their sale and I’m deepy underwhelmed by them, they seem less powerful than the Juicy 3’s I replaced and much less powerful than my Deore disc. When I rode my mates bike with Strokers last weekend I nearly threw myself over the bar. Anyone else found this? Maybe i should try cleaning the rotors with crystal meth or whatever it is.

rickon
    Free Member

Thats the badger! 160mm adapter didn’t work with mine. Good stuff. cheers Dan.

dan1980
    Free Member

When I changed from Avids to SLX I thought it was a massive step up. When I changed from SLX to K18/24s, I thought it was a massive step up again.

I seem to recall reading that formula rotors are thicker than other brands, so even with the pad clearance dialled all the way in, some rotors may still be to narrow for the brake pads to catch on efficiently.

Swapping from an oldish 160mm Avid rotor to the formula version made a big difference on my setup at any rate, though that could possibly have been down to it being a clean new rotor (though the old one was cleaned with IPA before trying the brakes the 1st time)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Formula brakes seem very susceptible to the amount of fluid in them too – if you want them v ‘bitey’, you need to overfill them with fluid.

bigjim

IPA

beer?!

dan1980
    Free Member

Iso-propyl alcohol

I wouldn’t waste beer on my brakes 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

How can you overfill a brake with fluid?

khani
    Free Member

Don’t push the pistons fully back before bleeding, can be a pain when you fit new pads though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Will any other adapters work with Formula brakes?’ is closed to new replies.