Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Will an alloy crank bolt hold on my LH shimano crank?
  • acjim
    Free Member

My old XT hollowtech 2 cranks are proving difficult and the left hand crank keeps coming off – not something you want!

The old plastic bolt has completely rounded off, I’ve got an alloy aftermarket version on another bike and was wondering if it would hold the crank on if I bought one of these? I know you can’t tension them right up but thought they could be locktited into place?

AdeC
    Free Member

That plastic bolt in the LH crank arm is just to pre-load the bearings. The two pinch bolts on the top of the crank arm are responsible for holding the crank arm on the axle.

Sounds like the splines on the crank, axle (or both) are worn. Ifs that the case….its time for new cranks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The pinch bolts hold them on not the other bolt.

acjim
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, thanks for reminding me

trail_rat
    Free Member

How ever if your skint and need a cheeky wee bodge for a bit more life , ive found that an amoeba short headlock is the right length to clamp your cranks together and lock them in place till such time as you can afford new cranks – or you get bored of its uglyness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Will an alloy crank bolt hold on my LH shimano crank?’ is closed to new replies.